1985 f250 4x4 6.9 idi Dually conversation

Austin fretwell

Reaction score
I have a 1985 f250 srw I am doing a Dually conversion on and I am wanting some advice. Do I just add adapters in the rear or just go with a drw rear end and does anybody on here have a set of adapters for the front stock preferred

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can do either for the rear but as Jasper said, a whole rear end is the RIGHT way to go. Just make sure you get the correct dually rear, cab & chassis trucks have a narrower frame and won't work. You need a dually rear from a truck that originally had a pickup bed on it. Measure your spring pad mounting width and you'll be ok. The correct axle will drop right in and bolt up fine.

Austin fretwell

Reaction score
Okay guys thanks another thing I know the frame is narrower I think it’s a National standard for all cab-chassis trucks ford doge etc. is the actual rear end housing narrower and if so how much I don’t mind welding on new spring pertches

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay guys thanks another thing I know the frame is narrower I think it’s a National standard for all cab-chassis trucks ford doge etc. is the actual rear end housing narrower and if so how much I don’t mind welding on new spring pertches

I can confirm this later if nobody else does but I'm pretty sure I heard the actual housing IS narrower. As in there's not enough room to actually move the perches. I'm hoping someone else can confirm so I don't have to crawl under my parts truck in the snow lol!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I can confirm this later if nobody else does but I'm pretty sure I heard the actual housing IS narrower. As in there's not enough room to actually move the perches. I'm hoping someone else can confirm so I don't have to crawl under my parts truck in the snow lol!

I’m not 100% sure, but I think a SWR and a C&C axle are about the same width, with the spring pads in a different location. The DWR axle is much wider, something like 6+ inches wider.

A C&C has a frame width of 36 inches and is fairly straight and flat. A truck that has a pickup box is wider, and had a “hump” in the middle.

A C&C dually uses a SWR width axle also, since the frame rails are narrower, the duals will fit.

So, I believe;

SWR Pickup, and C&C SWR or Dually use a similar width axle
DWR (dually) Pickup, much wider rear axle.

A 4x4 uses the same width front axle. The difference is at the wheel, with a dually hub, or dually adapters.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, cc drw axles are too narrow, but I have seen some guys get around that by adding spacers, but if you are going to be hauling a lot your best bet is to get a regular chassis drw axle. Not only are these axles wider, the bearings are moved out further so that they sit nearer to the centerline between the two tires. A regular srw axle with drw adapters will have a significant increase of leverage acting against the bearings since the centerline of the tires is 6” away.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shuttle vans have a very wide frame. Can't recall what it was but I had to move the perches in.

Axel was from a 99 E-350 shuttle bus. It's a tad wider than my flat bed, but worked good.

You must be registered for see images attach

Austin fretwell

Reaction score
Heck ya all great info thank y’all so much I will just pick up a regular drw rear axle I have found front adapters I can buy for 300 or so built just like stock

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snicklas was pretty much right, though there is a very small difference in srw and drw chassis.

For point of reference, wheel mounting surface distances per oe setup

Chassis cab-69"
Pickup single wheel- 70"
Pickup drw-72"

Three inches is a lot of difference when talking wheel/tire/load spacing and where things land