10.25 rear, long or short

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm shopping around for some new rear gears,It looks like my '92 should have the ones listed with the short pinion, but just want to make sure.

Thanks----Robert

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
The short ones had a problem coming loose. The long is an upgrade. Here's a shot showing the difference when I did mine:

You must be registered for see images

Mine came loose and I know a few others here have had it happen to them too. And yes you will need a yoke to match. I also had to get an oil slinger for mine, don't know if the original was missing or isn't used on the short setup.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If I start changing lengths and yokes, am I going to run into trouble on driveshaft length?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I was told 89 up is long style and earlier is short.
you wnt have a driveshaft lenght difference, but a u joint difference, short shaft and yoke use a different size cap than the long.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
I was told 89 up is long style and earlier is short.
you wnt have a driveshaft lenght difference, but a u joint difference, short shaft and yoke use a different size cap than the long.

I bought everything except the slinger at Randys and the driveshaft bolted right up, caps were the same. Both sizes are available according to Randys.

I went through the different u-joint thing when replacing the yoke on my ZF. The F350 with DRW/crew cab long bed used the bigger u-joint, everything else below that used the smaller joint (reg cab, SRW, 250, 150, etc.). I have to make sure the parts guys go all the way to that last one on the list when I buy u-joints.

I have a nice brand new yoke for a ZF sitting on my desk for the smaller joint to remind me of that little detail. -cuss