10.25 questions

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose "PACK" was or can be taken as in pack like a front axle and no thats not my intent and therefore would be MY bad for saying Pack...

I do pack mine but not in the usual kneed it in method wuth smatter of grease in palm and keep forcing bearing down packing greae in

I toss a bit of grease in ziplock bag toss bearing in and squish it all in and around bearing and roll bearing some...a "LIGHT PACK/SMEARING" of grease.

Can be difficult to overcome communicati e issues such as wording when one knows what they do and how...but does not clearly provide exceedingly detailed instructions ...

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well; I packed the 'ell out of mine a couple of years ago, guess I can be expect my rear end to go out any day now.

Last edited:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use grease or oil on the bearings. Everyone has there own preference and what they think is the absolute best. Just don't turn into those god awful amsoil disciples lol. As long as the grease dissolves in gear oil, I'm thinking everything will be just fine if you go that route.
It is a good idea to jack each end of axle when doing a rebuild or oil change. This will fill the tubes & oil up those bearings right away. Most if not all the differential guys swear by this practice.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect it would be fine. If I get a chance, I'll do a couple dissolution tests and post the results.

Honestly as long as you don't use a grease with ptfe (Teflon) particles in it, I can't imagine any grease (syn or not) would be anything but completely miscible in Dino or syn oil either one but like I said, if I get the chance, I'll show you guys.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vaseline is a petroleum product and is oil soluble. Many manufacturers recommend it for a new oil pump. It wont cause any problems with the gear oil. Me personally would use a light wheel bearing grease and motor on.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here is my less than scientific assessment.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here we have some Royal purple 75w-140 max gear i believe because this is what I have. On the screwdriver is some Valvoline syn power heavy duty moly fortified grease with lithium which while is what is described in the ford grease spec, I can't confirm it actually meets that spec but it shares the Mack spec so we will assume it's pretty similar.

After a couple minutes of stiring at about 50 F it's pretty much broken up into little pencil lead size chunks which if you poke them with the screwdriver a little they fall right apart. My thoughts are that with a little heat, it would homogenize thoroughly.

You must be registered for see images attach

Conclusion: I really don't see where there will be anything left behind by grease to hurt anything. In fact the extra moly in the hubs might even be a good thing considering that really nothing trumps moly as a high pressure lubricant.

So that said, what will I be doing? I will probably go ahead and pack the wheel bearings with this grease and make sure the hubs are full before I drive it. The way I see it is that boosting the additive content in probably the most abused component on the vehicle in a heavy hauling situation can't be a terrible thing.

One man's uneducated (in this particular area) opinion.

Edited to fix pictures.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bottom line is that any type of lube be it oil or grease will prevent dry starts. Key is as Mel said, have a fully topped up diff, the gears will "pump" oil to the wheel ends.
I think with that grist Mill bearing and 10.25 blender you would have to pack an axle tube full of grease before it would not mix with the oil.
Oh and seals with wear sleeve, not for me. Ever. Oil bath only.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me thinks...it looks good...me thinks yer on the right track with ol/grease...following Ford instructions for something like this is a good idea...

Thanks for that highly unscientific lab test that proves out the paper!

Best submit this info to Ford ;Poke

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something else to consider; Per the Ford manual, bearing pre-load is 55-65 ft-lbs, then back five notches. This is WITH A GREASE PACKED BEARING and a coated spindle. If you set a dry bearing at this value, I'm fairly certain that your bearings will end up being to tight.