10.25 questions

IDIeselman

Reaction score
It's pretty common for the pinion yokes to come loose on 10.25's prior to
1993. This is why 93-down is considered a short pinion and after, a long pinion. The differences between the 2 is the length of the spline and yoke contact area.
The following are the steps I take if there is no excessive play in spline to spline contact, and backlash.
So, what I do is mark a reference scribe of the nut to pinion and remove.
Remove the old seal.
Thoroughly clean the yoke and the splines of the pinion with brake clean being careful not to knock any dirt or cleaner in the housing of the rear.
Apply grease to the seal's inner rubber lip and install the new pinion seal.
Apply a thin coat of silicone sealent to the inner splines on the yoke. (This ensures you don't get oil pushing up the splines and end up leaking)
Install yoke.
Apply green or blue thread lock to the pinion nut and install nut to original position, and check for any looseness.
Using a punch stake the nut to the pinion to insure it doesn't back off.
Check or change diff oil level, top if necessary.

Good info there^^. If you work your truck hard, The non shouldered ring gear bolts will allow the ring gear to losen on the carrier. Simply buy the shouldered bolts for a dana 70 to replace them.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarti...50_inch_axle_tips/sterling_1025_upgrades.html Enjoy.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
There's a great article on axle seal replacement over at the drama stop

I need to get off my backside and replace mine, but I was hoping to get my new lift in first and rebuild the posi at the same time.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check your vent hose.

I agree with this. It can cause the seals to leak. It may not be the problem, but it won't take a minute to check, just take the hose off the housing and make sure the hole in the axle housing is clear and the hose is not blocked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online