1 step forward many many steps back!

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I keep getting closer on the truck but new problems keep arriving. Today I got the rear driveshaft put on, I switched out my entire glowplug controller with another I had around that I know works. Glowplugs stay on for at least 10 seconds but it doesn't fire that good, it must be in the timing? Once its warmed up it fires right back up. Well my starter might be going out, it will just click and not turn over and if I keep hitting the key it goes ahead and spins. It only does this when it cools down because Once I have it spinning over it will keep spinning over. It seems to drag my batterys which are fairly new down pretty fast. Well I got the new ujoints put in the rear driveshaft and installed it, put the front bumper back on. I bled the clutch more but still can't get it in gear unless I start it in gear. Well I decided maybe I would try driving it to town and work out some air, bad idea! Well on the way out the drive I was thinking wow its running pretty good. Drove a few miles and decided I didn't want to shift it like that and was going to turn around. About that time I got a bad vibration, I started slowing down to pull over and it got really bad. The new ujoint caps had worked out, it was still holding in the shaft so I had to creep along the shoulder and find a spot to turn around that wouldn't block traffic if it all fell apart. I made it back to our driveway and it fell clear apart. I put it in 4wd and cut some wire off the fence and wired up the rear shaft, it made it almost to the house but kept falling out of the wire, I was cold, frustrated, etc. I gave up and went to town. I came back and wired it on better but the starter did the same thing and when I finally got it to crank over the battery went dead pretty fast. I think I am going to find another driveshaft, the Ujoints are the correct ones, the clips were in but when I got the driveshaft it was in pieces and looked like it had done the same thing and came apart and drug on the highway, I put new joints in last year, had to do a little filing to get them to go in and they have held up for a year but they were really cheap joints and were starting to get some play in them so I just wanted to replace them. So I need a rear shaft for a supercab longbed with a 5 speed, anyone got one? I've done alot of ujoints and never had one come apart right after pressing it in. They seemed to press in pretty easy but still fairly tight. These were the cheap joints again, I didn't want to put much in it because I will be shortening the wheelbase by 3" hopefully next year and was just going to get good ones then. I know I can get another rear shaft and fix that but the clutch is still bugging me. I suppose I still have air, I think I am going to remove it all and just bleed it inside as one assembly and put it back on.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also the gauges are going screwy on me, I think I need to check some grounds. I had ground wires from the valve covers to the firewall and haven't put them back on yet.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Well my starter might be going out, it will just click and not turn over and if I keep hitting the key it goes ahead and spins. It only does this when it cools down because Once I have it spinning over it will keep spinning over. It seems to drag my battery's which are fairly new down pretty fast.

this could also be due to a bad starter solenoid on the passenger firewall. the contacts will build up from tI'me and time again of starting. this will create lots of resistance and wont make contact. what you can do it jump the 2 large posts on the solenoid. if it cranks over every time then its possible that its the solenoid and not the starter. just an idea before you go buy a starter. then again the starters are known for going poop. everyone seems to replace them with the gear reduction starters and like mine you cant get you hand off the key before it fires off.

As for the gauges. since i did my cummins swap i have been having grounding issues. I have huge wiring going to the engine and also down to the frame. i have all harness grounds nice and clean and my gauges seem to jump around from time to time. whats odd is if i bring it just above idle everything goes smooth. im going to add a strap from the engine to the firewall and see what that will do.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a brand new fender solenoid. It was giving me trouble I wonder if the starter drug it down? I found a guy parting out a truck I am going to get a price on some parts if I can get ahold of him.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
ok just a thought. I had a gear reduction starter but i already sold it. I only have 8 injectors, 8 beru glowplugs and a powerstering pump left. as long as you have good clean cables with little resistance in them then it sounds like your starter has given up on life..which is not uncommon.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats alright I can probably limp along on this starter until I can afford a good one. From what I am checking out there are 2 types of gear reduction starters, I must have one a mitsubishi, and the other is nippodenso and its more of a offset reduction, it looks like its alot smaller and easier to fit on, I wonder w hich one is better? Anyways I am heading after a rear driveshaft in the morning, about 2.5 hour drive 50 for the driveshaft. Now I need to try and fit it in the trunk of our neon! I don't want to seperate it but I might have to. Maybe I can borrow my parents van but its not as good on gas and is in poor mechanical condition, they want me to get done w/ my truck so I can repair it! I figure I will get there on the truck but not sure when. Money and time stand in the way right now.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
its not bad to split it..just take a marking pen and run a line across both shafts. then when you put it back together just line them back up..the splins will be in the same spot as before.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know I just wanted to leave the boot and clamps all together so I can just install it if it looks good enough to put right on.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also if anyone locally is looking for a parts donor to do a 5 spd swap this would be a good deal. The truck is a 93 and is mostly complete for 1200. I am not sure what he said about the motor, didin't sound like it was running. If I had the extra money I would check into it to fix up for a 2nd truck.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats actually a pretty good idea. I wish I had access to a welder, I would do that. I will probably go ahead and get the shaft in the morning because I want a decent shaft to start with when I go to get it shortened down the road.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shaft should have a blind spline on it so it cant get out of "time"

The nippondenso is the superior starter.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I remember that about the shaft, there is 1 tooth that is wider than the others and its only in one spot. The guy had a starter also but he wanted 50 for it and I figured it could be in the same shape as mine so I am going to wait and just get a new one. The nippodenso looks like it might be easier to reach that top bolt?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online