1.6 NA diesel

BigRed96

Reaction score
I have been given a 1981 Rabbit diesel and was wondering if anyone had any info on it. It hasn't been started for probably 8-9 years and was wondering if anyone had any tips to get it running. Thanks in advance. Timmy

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Clean fresh diesel will help, other then that I would pull the injectors and put some oil in the cylinders, turn it over a few times by hand, check that all your glow plugs are working, new filters and an oil change will do it good.
I think it would be the non-hydraulic lifter motor in there, I would get the valves adjusted to spec, then drive the crap out of it :)
I have an '86 golf with the 1.6 it takes a beating and comes back for more

cscmc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or just eBay it as-is. They're bringing ridiculous amounts of $ on there!

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
I just picked up the 1.6L with the turbo thoe. They got a tremendously strong bottem end. The guy just did the top end on it for $1500 canadian, The bottem end was like new. with 400,000 km on it. In a year it will pay for its self with how much money i will save in fuel.

NextENRG

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Bottom end is relativly weak actually.....

Solution below:

You must be registered for see images attach

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
I wouldn't put oil in the cylinders unless its siezed, pulling injectors can be a pain, and if you put to much in you can hydrolock it. There is a Rabbit pickup at my work, that sat for 6 - 7 years, put in a strong battery, and checked the fluids and it started up after a few cranks, it wasn't happy, until it warmed up, it was real smoky but it cleaned up. Definitly put fresh diesel in with some sort of diesel fuel additive, like Power Service.

NextENRG

Reaction score
before pulling injectors, be sure to pick up new heatsheilds. VW guys say they cannot be reused because they make a crush seal and will not "re-crush"

check to see if you have bubbles in the clear fuel line out of the filter, this can be caused by air getting in from the water separater near the right rear tire under the car.
careful its plastic and i broke mine last week and had to remove it. have a bucket close by as it holds almost a L of diesel

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online