01 h.o cummins. What do u think?

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Im thinking about buying an 01 cummins with 281k on it. It has new brakes and stuff. Master cylinder and clutch. Needs tires. It a six speed obvioiusly. Anyways i would need it to be my daily driver. He wants 6500 for it. I just want your opinion on it. Would you trust it if it had that many miles on it? Thanks in advance

GuyWithA24Valv

Reaction score
I would trust it, the only think I would be worried about is the VP44 injector pump. I would hook up a scanner to it and see if it is throwing any death codes or any codes at all. If not it sounds like an okay deal.

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its an 01 you can turn the key on and off with out starting the truck 3 times leaving the ignition on the third time, and it will flash code numbers where the odometer is if there are any stored codes, and yes thats a pretty good deal but i would check to see if the lift pump is stock if it is make sure that it is working and even if it is plan on replacing it soon with a FASS, Airdog, or Raptor aftermarket fuel pump the OEM ones are crap. Another thing check ball joints and tie rods and the rest of the front end if they are worn pretty well that can be an expensive fix.

-Jordan-

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh and the p0216 is the death code for your VP44 injection pump meaning that there is a very good chance it needs to be replaced, if that code comes up its about $1000 for the pump, plus labor if you dont have the knowlege to replace it yourself.

-Jordan-