'86 Crew Cab Project up date and photos.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been working on my '86 crew cab project when I get the time. It is getting closer and closer all the time, but there is still a lot to do. I promissed photos, and finally here they are:

I've pulled the motor for a new set of head gaskets, studs, seals, rebuild the oil cooler and turbo install.

The hardest parts of a project is turning that 1st bolt:
You must be registered for see images

Pulled the front clip to make access much easier and it was really quick and easy to do:

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've pulled the C6 and I'm coverting the truck to a manual with a 460 ZF5 with "typ4" modifications to make it work on the IDI.

Here are the "typ4" mods being made to the 460 ZF5:

I used a 1/2 inch 4 fluted end mill to machine the diesel bolts holes. The reason for this is that a standard drill bit would drift toward the overlaping bolt holes in the bellhousing. The end mill with a drill press will machine the new holes straight and true.

See what I mean about the benefits of using an end mill:

Finished product:

Heath

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The block was prepped for the head studs, new head gaskets, and installation of the heads:

APR head studs:

I chased all the thread in the block with a bottoming tap to make sure they were clean and ready for the studs.

The heads were pressure tested, magnafluxed, inspected, and new valve seals were added. The guides where in great shape as were the seats. All the valves where placed back in their original locations (that's why they are numbered).

Heath

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the block's serial number stamped at the IH engine plant in Indianapolis when it rolled off the line:

Here is a new Victor Reinz head gasket prior to adding the blue Hylomar:

Stamped with "UP" to ensure proper installation:

The heads are on and torqued via the factory sequence to the factory 80 ft/lbs. Push rods and rockers on installed as well.

The Victor Reinz valley pan was modified next for better turbo oil return and hopefully prevent oil leaks in the future.

Heath

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now the valve covers, valley pan, and intake manifold are installed with a fresh coat of IH grey:

Here is a shot of three oil galley plugs on the driver's side of the block. The most foward plug is hidden by the motor mount most of the time.

Oil pan is on and it too was coated in IH grey:

The oil cooler tube was hot tanked and pressure checked. The cooler received new o-rings and paint. Prior to the project, it was leaking like a siv.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The mechanical fuel pump was removed as I will be using a Facet "Dura-Lift" fuel pump on the truck. A BBC block of plate was used to seal the opening in the block:

I've also modified the steering column to get rid of the old column shifter. It was a chore to make the modifications and keep the factory tilt wheel and most importantly the factory look of the column. Sorry, not photos of this yet.

I still need to clean up the rat's nest of wires under the dash and on the driver's side of the firewall. I can't stand wires running everywhere. I gotta get them orgainized and into a nice, clean lume.

The gauges, firewall reinforcement kit, pedal swap, and e-fuel pump all are on the list as well.

The Turbo is certainly coming soon, just need to get a few small parts from Banks and it will be ready to install next.

Sorry it took so long to get these posted..........ENJOY.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Heath... Its really looking great. Thats the truck from Ca isn't it. If so I recall the person you bought it from driving it back home... Then needing to sell it. Really a nice clean turck. About the heads.... Please never lay them over on the decks where they have to seal up. Any nick or scratch will ruin them. Use some wood or cardboard but never unprotected. Glad the heads are in good shape. That tells you planty of the motor overall condition. Did you look at or plasticgauge the rods and mains. Also nice big shop to work in too. I want one big like that too... But thats not going to happen... The horses come first... Not me....:cry:

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-Drool

Nice job. These kind of writeups are great inspiration when you're in a rut.

gandalf

Reaction score
That's truly impressive, Heath. ;Sweet;Sweet I'm jealous of that engine, though not the time, the effort, and the cost it took to do the job. I'm with Gary about the shop area. I want one just like it.

The forum should set up a section in the tech area, "How to rebuild your engine, what to do and how to do it."

Good job. Keep the information and the pictures coming.