Started on the Crew Cab project....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was finally able to get some time to devote to my '86 crew cab.

I'm pulling the motor and replacing the headgaskets
Adding studs
Rebuilding the heads while they're off
Rebuilding the oil cooler
Adding a Banks turbo
Ditching the C6 for a "typ4" ZF-5 speed with a SBC SMF and 13 inch clutch
Facet Dura-Lift e-pump (figured I give one a try, though I still love my Holley Red).
Hopefully a York for on board air.
Rob the pedals and steering column from the the 'ol F350 gasser donor truck.

I've gotten all the bolts off the front clip and the radiator drained and out of the truck, front bumper off, and the batteries out. Hope to have the clip off this coming weekend and start pulling the motor.

My hope was to get this all done by the Rally, but I don't think I'll have time.

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Shoot Heath, ya gots plenty of time for that...........................

Well as long as ****** girl doesn't come back to the office.LOL

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well as long as ****** girl doesn't come back to the office.LOL
Now that you mention it............. she is. THANKS FOR JINXSING ME RON!!!:backoff:mad:

You must be registered for see images

Of the CC that is. NOT OF CG.:rotflmao
I took a few shots, but not much to see yet........ just the truck with the hood off, bumper off and the rad missing.:D Saddly........CG probally could care less if I took and posted shots of her........but that ain't gonna happen.:puke:

have you put that firewall plate up against yet?
Not yet, it certainly is on the list of parts that go along with the ZF5 swap. It looks exactly like the one on my Black F250.

Heath

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the front clip off this weekend as well as the fan and fan clutch, all the accessories on the front of the motor, the tranny cooler and tranny temp sender (won't be needing those anymore).:D Should have the IDI on the engine stand with the heads off this time next week.

Still need to pull the donor ZF5 and do the typ4 mods. Also, need to open up the drain side of the valley pan for the turbo install.

Ron, didn't you have some photos of those valley pan mods somewhere?

Heath

Last edited:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Ron, didn't you have some photos of those valley pan mods somewhere?

Heath

Yup.:D
The first one is the underside before and the second is the after my die grinder got ahold of it.

In pic #3 the newer valley pans do have a 1/4" gap that does allow for over flow but on a cold winter day, that could fill up very fast and if the turbo drain back grommet is not sealed completely well............ Ya get the picture.:eek:

Attachments

• DSC00765.JPG
    DSC00765.JPG
    727.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00766.JPG
    DSC00766.JPG
    758.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC00764.JPG
    DSC00764.JPG
    755 KB · Views: 29

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Thanks man!

Heath

;Really

Just hacked up another one tonight for a new client who STOLE an 89 F-350 4x4 C/C Lariat with 134k on the clock!
Yup Solid body stored inside 4 year old paint, 305 tires and Alco wheels.-Drool

Only downfal was the PO had dropped a GP into the cylinder let it bounce around for a bit before deciding to pull the heads and in the proccess screwed up the new HG on install.
Yup lost the rubber seal for the water jacket and it was pushing coolant right into the oil system.cookoo

Well the repairs were completed and on to a lil turbo upgrade for him.:sly

I've given him the web site address and appears John (aka diesellawnman)made it. he's already hooked after he got to take Goldie for a spin Saturday afternoon.:D

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typ4 mods? To the trans? Or what? Dja get a cam? Obviously I was not paying attention. LOL

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typ4 mods? To the trans? Or what? Dja get a cam? Obviously I was not paying attention. LOL

Yup, I'm going to do his gasser ZF5 tranny mods to make it work behind the IDI. I've got a few IDI block to tranny adaptor plates at the house to use as a good template. The top bolts are in the same location. I'll bolt the adaptor to the 460 ZF5 at the top two bolts and start modifying the rest.:sly

Nothing wrong with the C6, but I just can't stand to leave my left foot and my right hand idle while driving. Gotta have a manual tranny. The cool thing is the crew cab will have an overdrive and an underdrive once the ZF5 is installed.

Heath

Last edited: