What to do, what to do

decisions, decisions, decisions

• keep all three idi's and run a nv4500

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
hmmmm:D that sounds like my dream engine:sly im almost positive the bottom end will hold when i build mine im going to stud the rods and maybe even the main caps just for good measures then get it balanced for something like that too, but i just got to find out were i can get an ip that can make the fuel to power me at the rpm range, and a cam to go along with it, and i got to talking to a psd guy and he sugjested that i should lower the compression to around 16:1, the valve train needs work in these engines, so far thats the only weak link i have found and even after floating mine i still continue to run past 4000 almost everday and nothing is breaking, i would say 7.3 rockers or custome roller rockers, stud the rockers down, then valve springs that will allow me to go past 5000 if i wanted to with out the float and that motor should kick some serious ass, i hope you get an idi that will break the power limit and hold at that rpm when you get it broke in and test it please record a video of it and post it i want to see it in action;Sweet

studding the heads, rods, mains, intake, and exhaust :D as far as pumps go, there are a few, i wonder if the spider will need to be oversize to allow the fuel to get through. then, i wonder, if the injector size becomes an issue :dunno. if you drop it to 16:1 :eek: i wouldn't plan on driving it in the winter. as far as the valve train goes, i've heard it can float around 4300 rpm. i've seen a kit from hypermax that eliminates this problem but it's pricey $$$$$.

diesel4me2

Reaction score
if i was working reguarly and had a load of cash and lived closer id love to persway you to go with the 466 and something speed project dayum thatd be sweet but hey to each is own have fun buddy

it would be a sweet project. i'll have to look into the engine and specs more, visit a few yards, take some measurements. oh and if you ever find that load of cash i would love to be persuaded by it ;Sweet

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
studding the heads, rods, mains, intake, and exhaust :D as far as pumps go, there are a few, i wonder if the spider will need to be oversize to allow the fuel to get through. then, i wonder, if the injector size becomes an issue :dunno. if you drop it to 16:1 :eek: i wouldn't plan on driving it in the winter. as far as the valve train goes, i've heard it can float around 4300 rpm. i've seen a kit from hypermax that eliminates this problem but it's pricey $$$$$.

yea i mean if i was just going to pull it or race it i might drop it that low but i want to still be able to drive it some so i probly will drop it about 18:1 and stud the crap out of everything, valve float will be an issue until we get some springs and keepers to fix that problem, and after you do all that you may have to increase injectors size and injector line size, And what about cam are you planing on getting a cam made? or just use stock?

diesel4me2

Reaction score
yea i mean if i was just going to pull it or race it i might drop it that low but i want to still be able to drive it some so i probly will drop it about 18:1 and stud the crap out of everything,

i don't have the formula handy, my 6.9 is 30 over on the cylinder and 35 under on the piston. and it's a pita to start in the morning after work. i work midnights and am unable to plug it in. by pita i mean three complete cycles on the glows and crank, three more complete cycles and crank, three more and crank, starts to sputter, three more and crank, runs on one cylinder for a minute then sputters out, one more complete cycle and crank, yea:hail two cylinders, rap, rap, rap, rap, rap, sputter rap,rap,rap,rap,rap, sweet three, sputter, rapraprapraprap now i can tell my buddies at work they can go cuz she is good to go when i get to four. listen to to the rest of the cylinders come one line for the next 5 min. :rolleyes: and yes, my plugs are all in working order.

valve float will be an issue until we get some springs and keepers to fix that problem,

right now im seriously looking into buying the set from hypermax just to get the parts and find the part numbers for them. for the benefit of all of us. ;Sweet

and after you do all that you may have to increase injectors size and injector line size,

any ideas on who to source these from?

And what about cam are you planing on getting a cam made? or just use stock?

is there an aftermarket one available? i've heard of one profile available from, i think russ, but i could be wrong.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Injectors well mel offers the moose misters not sure what all he does, and there was another guy on here doing some testing but i havent herd from him in a while:dunno injectors lines you would have to make or get someone to make, and for a cam you would have to take one to a machine shop and get a custom regrind, but first you will neeed to knoe all the clearences and junk which i know nothing about, and man that thing sounds hard to crank any way you can record it? im interested in watching a low compression idi crank cold, and i would like to figure out what your compression is

On second thought i wonder if you couldnt just talk to hypermax about if you would need bigger lines and injectors and what to do about a cam, since they did build a 1200hp idi

diesel4me2

Reaction score
Injectors well mel offers the moose misters not sure what all he does, and there was another guy on here doing some testing but i havent herd from him in a while:dunno injectors lines you would have to make or get someone to make, and for a cam you would have to take one to a machine shop and get a custom regrind, but first you will neeed to knoe all the clearences and junk which i know nothing about, and man that thing sounds hard to crank any way you can record it? im interested in watching a low compression idi crank cold, and i would like to figure out what your compression is

On second thought i wonder if you couldnt just talk to hypermax about if you would need bigger lines and injectors and what to do about a cam, since they did build a 1200hp idi

it's brutal man, it's absolutely brutal . i have my spare engine apart right now, specifically to measure the clearances on the valve train, any idea on the thickness of a compressed head gasket? and the standard thickness of the head and block at that point, i think my block has been decked, and that will change the readings i get.

as far as hypermax goes, i'm working on having them give a presentation at the rally :hail maybe spending another 3 or 4 grand with them will help my cause :rotflmao:rotflmao also the 1200hp idi guy lives about half an hour from me. working on that to. but don't tell anybody.... nothing is set in stone.....

i'll try to get video in the next couple of days, we hit a warm spell here (about 20 degrees). she cranks easier, but not like when shes plugged in

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the amount of fuel you guys are talking about, larger injector lines are not required. Moose Misters would be plenty of fuel with a well built pump. And if not, the pintle could be modified further, and the nozzles Extrude Honed to increase the size.

And what kind of boost numbers are you running/looking for that you're thinking of decompressing that much? 20 psi of boost and 20:1 will hold together. Hell, my stock 21.5:1 holds 17 psi of the old Banks, and I'm sure the drive pressure is starting to get close to 2:1 at that point.

Timing becomes an important consideration so as not to increase cylinder pressures to the point of popping gaskets, detonation cracking pistons, and so on.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't have the formula handy, my 6.9 is 30 over on the cylinder and 35 under on the piston. and it's a pita to start in the morning after work. i work midnights and am unable to plug it in. by pita i mean three complete cycles on the glows and crank, three more complete cycles and crank, three more and crank, starts to sputter, three more and crank, runs on one cylinder for a minute then sputters out, one more complete cycle and crank, yea:hail two cylinders, rap, rap, rap, rap, rap, sputter rap,rap,rap,rap,rap, sweet three, sputter, rapraprapraprap now i can tell my buddies at work they can go cuz she is good to go when i get to four. listen to to the rest of the cylinders come one line for the next 5 min. :rolleyes: and yes, my plugs are all in working order.
i know we talked about portable generators in another thread, but how about hooking up a hair dryer to warm up the intake air? i got the idea after getting burned by the wife's hiar dryer tonite.cookoo

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
it's brutal man, it's absolutely brutal . i have my spare engine apart right now, specifically to measure the clearances on the valve train, any idea on the thickness of a compressed head gasket? and the standard thickness of the head and block at that point, i think my block has been decked, and that will change the readings i get.

as far as hypermax goes, i'm working on having them give a presentation at the rally :hail maybe spending another 3 or 4 grand with them will help my cause :rotflmao:rotflmao also the 1200hp idi guy lives about half an hour from me. working on that to. but don't tell anybody.... nothing is set in stone.....

i'll try to get video in the next couple of days, we hit a warm spell here (about 20 degrees). she cranks easier, but not like when shes plugged in

sounds good! to bad i wont be able to make it to the rally to see them if they come, well after i get my turbo bought and get my 86 motor more close to blowed up then im going to pull it out and set my 83 motor in with the turbo on the 83 motor, then im going to yank the 86 down and rebuild it replace what needed and lower the compression and stud everything, and maybe by then somone can find a cam grind, get it balanced for high rpm, to start off with i will probly use a factory turbo ip to break it in then after that i will be looking for a pump like you plan on having