6.9l 460 trans

spock1996

Reaction score
I read that the bellhousing bolt patterns on the 6.9l and 460 are simular has anyone made a 5-speed from a 460 fit a 6.9l?

I've got the 460 5-speed laying around and can get a 6.9l and i want to make something crazy.

p.s. I asked this on powerstroke nation and someone said someone on oilburners has done it and worked good.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typ4 went the other way...he made a ZF5 from behind a diesel fit the 460, could you go the other way? I guess. He's the guy to talk to about that. You might be the first person to actually drill the gasser tranny for diesel if you do it. Too bad the ZF is cast as one piece and not with the removable bellhousing like the T18/19 that just makes it too easy to mix and match.

starmilt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a member on page 2 that is looking for a 460 ZF5, sell yours to him and get the right one. If you are anywhere close to him.

spock1996

Reaction score
do the international trucks 6.9 use the same bellhousing adapter plate as the ford 6.9 diesel? the engine im getting is out of a s interntional truck. thanks all

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do the international trucks 6.9 use the same bellhousing adapter plate as the ford 6.9 diesel? the engine im getting is out of a s interntional truck. thanks all

The 6.9's in our ford trucks are internationals.... Ford didnt make the diesel so I guess the answer to that would be yes. What is an s international truck?

spock1996

Reaction score
ford never made its own diesel till the new 6.7l. to my understanding, ford had a bellhousing plate did international use the same bellhousing plate? maybe i am wrong withthe bellhousing plate thing.

this is an international s truck
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the s truck has a sae 3 bell on it, about 4 inches thick. The IDI in the fords use a 1inch adapter, easy to find, the flywheel and clutch will need to be ford also.

And bigrigtech just did what you want to do.

spock1996

Reaction score
thanks, i think this engine has a 5 speed ih trans on it right now, if i an fit it all in where i wanna put it then i wont do the 460 trans, does anyone know if the ih trans would have a 5th gear overdrive or 1:1?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Likely 1;1 If the shift lever goes back for fifth, if it goes forward it "might" be od. not likely though.'

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a few of the ford adapter plates. If you are looking for one shoot me a pm.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I read that the bellhousing bolt patterns on the 6.9l and 460 are simular has anyone made a 5-speed from a 460 fit a 6.9l?

I've got the 460 5-speed laying around and can get a 6.9l and i want to make something crazy.

It can be done! Check out this thread. 460 5 speed trans bolted to a 6.9 IDI.

The truck was actually a working 460 gasser two weeks ago, and now it is a running diesel lol.

spock1996

Reaction score
I found this on here somewhere

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I would weld up the holes that are different then drill the new holes you need. Then strength would not even be an issue. I dunno. thats just me. O and your 460 gasser trans will have a lower 1st gear too