Register to remove these ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transmission cooler through radiator or not?

Full Access Member 87crewdually's Avatar
    Thanks

Also here is a little speel that the site I get my tranny parts from has posted:
    "Transmission Cooling: You must have a transmission cooler in your radiator regardless of what someone has told you for the transmission to last. Auxiliary coolers are just that, in addition to. Water cools 32 times better (faster) than air always, period. The transmission fluid comes directly from the torque converter at a much higher temperature than the water in your radiator and is cooled to the water temperature fast. Then it goes to the auxiliary cooler to be cooled far below the water temperature. If you don't need a cooler in your radiator why does Ford spend all that money doing so? If you wanted to cool a red hot piece of steel fast would you stick it in water or air, see the point. For the best cooling you need both water and air cooling for the transmission to be cooler than the motor."

Most automatic transmissions fail due to a breakdown of the transmission fluid caused by overheating. This chart provides a graphic display of heats contribution to transmission failure. The effect is also cumulative. Short term exposure to high heat levels (or even prolonged exposure to moderate heat) can break down the fluid to the point where even very short episodes of overheating will lead to failure.

1987 crew cab dually, 6.9, worked C-6auto, 4.56 r&p, Banks Sidewinder Turbo, Laycock/GV Overdrive, 3G Alternator w/idler. Running on homemade Bio-fuel.

Full Access Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 87crewdually View Post
    The 4r100 has the cooler by-pass line that goes from the two ports of the tranny. All the line contains is a little valve with a spring that when the atf gets warm it allows it to open the valve and the fluid goes through the cooler(s).
    And there is an aftermarket kit that eliminates that contraption, forgot exactly why this is needed tho...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 87crewdually View Post
    The 4r100 has the cooler by-pass line that goes from the two ports of the tranny. All the line contains is a little valve with a spring that when the atf gets warm it allows it to open the valve and the fluid goes through the cooler(s).
    OK, cool. Thanks for setting me straight......now back to my beer
    92 F350 XLT Crewcab dually, 231K miles, ATS turbo, Type4 cam, Moose Jr & BB injectors, Holly Red pump, K&N, MBRP 4 inch exhaust system, E40D with 26k gvw aux cooler, A-pillar guages, 410 limited-slip rear, Rancho 9000s, towing package, full running boards, mud flaps, 94' Ford (Alcoa) aluminum wheels, Predator camper shell, 600 watts of Sony/Boston Acoustics! Complete engine rebuild at 176k miles/then another engine at 231k. Ford reman E4OD at 204k miles.

2001 Komfort 26FS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Revelstoke View Post
    Well, I'm sure going to put one on. The question of the day is which one, and where.
    WEll, if you want a serious tranny cooler, this will do the trick REal nice thing about these is you can mount them anywhere , like under the cab and they work just fine, they don't need direct air flow from the front, so they don't need to add extra heat to your rad or your ac condenser
    '92 f350 cc dually, 5 sp+ 3 speed Spicer 5831 Brownie , Solid Flywheel & Kevlar Clutch, 7.3 ATS turbo, Hypermax Cowl Induction, Custom Aluminum Rodney Red Radiator,Evan's waterless coolant,Zero pressure system, MS Tech Fan Clutch, 16" & 10" electric pusher fans,Derale Electra-cool remote oil cooler, 4" exhaust,Dual Facet Duralift E-pumps, 150 Gallon bed tank from a Volvo semi, Amsoil bypass filter w/ Amsoil 15w-40 Diesel and Marine , Victor Reinz gaskets , Western Hauler bed, Warn M12000 winch, Per Lux fog Lights, Borgeson steering shaft, 1" hockey puck lift,Rear air conditioning, Air seat, Onboard air system with rear air bags with automatic level control,West coast mirrors, Bilsteins

* Life is like a crap sandwich... The more bread you've got, the less crap you have to eat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA View Post
    And there is an aftermarket kit that eliminates that contraption, forgot exactly why this is needed tho...
    The bypass is there in case of blockage to the coolers. It allows the fluid to run to the rear of the tranny to prevent it from failing.
    01 Ford F250 XLT 4x4 Darkhighland Green, 7.3L, Auto Trans, 373 LS,Di Pricol Optix gauges, Dura Lite Air Cleaner,CCV mod, Fleetguard coolant filter,Oil Guard bypass filter,MBRP Muffler deleted,XM Satilite radio. Needs more stuff! 6.0 Charge cooler,Fuel system stuff,ECT.

85 Ford F250 XL Rusty,6.9L,Auto Trans, Fairmont 307 Hy-Rail Conversion, Holley Red Fuel Pump,Racor 690 water Separator, Stahl Univeral Fuel Fillers,Hydro Boost Brakes, Coming soon Studs, turbo, and a 4R100.

90 Ford F350 XLT 4x4 Brick Red 7.3L,Far from stock DIY E4OD X4TC Torque Converter.Facet Duralift fuel pump,Walker 21470 muffler with some SD parts tossed in.

08 Arctic Cat 700 Diesel Super Duty 4X4.Smoke screws adjusted. (The yard goat)

This space intentionally left blank

Full Access Member
    Thanks

One of the easiest things to do to protect your trans. in conjunction to the aux cooler is install a spin on filter after the rad cooler to catch anything that might be lurking in the corners of the rad cooler and pick up the bigger pieces circulating in the trans fld. Replace the spin on every time you change your oil. or every 5k miles.
    93 F350 CC 7.3 turbo ZF 5 speed 174,390 mi. "Dragon"
    84 6140 Allis Chalmers 40 hp 3 cylinder diesel tractor
    04 Caddy SLS (wifes)

Full Access Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trackspeeder View Post
    The bypass is there in case of blockage to the coolers. It allows the fluid to run to the rear of the tranny to prevent it from failing.
    Right, that makes perfect sense, but I was wondering about the bypass elimination kit - I don't remember which diesel magazine did an article on it, but apparently there is a downside to the factory setup, I just can't recall what that was...

And in the light of this discussion I decided to go back to using the radiator cooler, but I ain't giving up my A/C condenser either - I now have the hot fluid discharged from the converter go through the rad first, then it flows through the A/C condenser, and finally back to the trans. Seems like this summer I will be having lots of runs in the south, so I figured I won't need the fuel heater and both the trans and the IP will like the extra cooling. Lines under the truck look a whole lot neater now too, which is always a plus

Thanks

The downside is the set up could go hay wire and overheat the trans. That is very rare. But it dose happen.
    01 Ford F250 XLT 4x4 Darkhighland Green, 7.3L, Auto Trans, 373 LS,Di Pricol Optix gauges, Dura Lite Air Cleaner,CCV mod, Fleetguard coolant filter,Oil Guard bypass filter,MBRP Muffler deleted,XM Satilite radio. Needs more stuff! 6.0 Charge cooler,Fuel system stuff,ECT.

85 Ford F250 XL Rusty,6.9L,Auto Trans, Fairmont 307 Hy-Rail Conversion, Holley Red Fuel Pump,Racor 690 water Separator, Stahl Univeral Fuel Fillers,Hydro Boost Brakes, Coming soon Studs, turbo, and a 4R100.

90 Ford F350 XLT 4x4 Brick Red 7.3L,Far from stock DIY E4OD X4TC Torque Converter.Facet Duralift fuel pump,Walker 21470 muffler with some SD parts tossed in.

08 Arctic Cat 700 Diesel Super Duty 4X4.Smoke screws adjusted. (The yard goat)

This space intentionally left blank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12