zf5 conversion help

97444psd

Reaction score
Im converting my powerstroke to a zf5 manual trans and thought you guys could help because I think a idi are the same way. when I took the flexplate off and tried to put on my smflywheel it stuck out way to far. and there is a extension like thing on the back of the crank and I figured only autos have them seeing how the flexplate is so small compared to the flywheel so im wondering does this have to come off or am I even on the right track? heres sum pics

Attachments

• _Device Memory_home_user_pictures_IMG00057.jpg
    _Device Memory_home_user_pictures_IMG00057.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 6
  • _Device Memory_home_user_pictures_IMG00058.jpg
    _Device Memory_home_user_pictures_IMG00058.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 10

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never torn into an E4DOA truck in any form, but my guess is that that's an adapter plate that's not supposed to be there. Take a look at the pic I attached; that's the back of my 6.9l with the flywheel removed. The rear of the crank's just about even with the flange that the bellhousing mates to, with the flywheel mounting point just a bit beyond the plate that holds the rear main seal.

Hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in soon, but maybe this'll help a bit? Good luck with the swap ;Sweet

Attachments

• rearmain1.jpg
    rearmain1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 22

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
i did not have anything remotely resembling that in my ZF5 swap. start with the bare crank and pilot bearing and work your way out.

1992f250idi

Reaction score
IIRC, yes that is an adapter plate, they put it on because they switched from thick cast flexplates like your flywheel to stamped steel ones with the ring gear welded on, which where obviously much skinnier. now as far as taking it off, have you tried tapping it with a hammer? dont pound it, but it seems like it might just be a tight fit on but i have no idea, i never tried to take it off when i just had my e4od off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin