Winch questions

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It reconfirmed why I hate and will no longer haul mattresses on a open bed or deck. Five years of hauling scrap car bodies on a open flatbed, and never a nut, bolt or car part come off my truck. Help out a "buddy" and my rep goes into the toilet-cuss

Do you mean that you wouldn't haul a mattress for that gal in your avatar if she was cooking a steak dinner for you in that outfit she's wearing? :angel:

colotow

I refuse to grow up
Reaction score
try www.awdirect.com they're a towing supplier. prices are fairly good, and they sell quality equipment for all sizes and types of wreckers. even if you don't want to pay their prices, they have real good illustrations,and you should e able to find ideas for having your own made.

just be careful, i don't know how the laws apply to private use, but once you are on a public highway, there is always the potential for getting sued if you have what some lawyer decided is an improper tiedown and it breaks.

check out www.tow411.yuku.com, you can read and look at tiedown ideas in the light duty and carrier forums, and there are several other suppliers advertising on there to check prices with.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked on the site to see if there was a special "mattress hold-down" strap that Towcat could keep on his tow truck. :D :D They apparently haven't developed such an item. Maybe the industry doesn't know how tough it is to haul a mattress. :rotflmao :rotflmao

Towcat: you wouldn't hang out here if you didn't agree to be the butt of an occasional joke. :D

For the rest of you who don't know him, he's an artist in the use of a tow truck.
I have personally seen him in action with it, and he can do just about anything with it. Any pride he has in his rep is well-justified (mattresses excluded). Heh, heh...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
monte-
I completely forgot about this thread and was ready to post something....and then I opened it.....:eek:
I'll haul a matress for the avi lady, no problem. She cooks really good dinners;Sweet
As far as the ribbing is concerned, everybody needs a good roast every now and then.....I seem to get it more often than some and alot less than others I know.;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet
Like or hate me....I've got plenty of fans in both camps.:D
As long as my daughter tells me she loves me before she holds out her hand for her allowance, I'm happy;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just one other thing to take into account when strapping things, usually not a problem with shorter beds, but frame flex can bite you in the **** on longer frame flat trailers with straps ( and chains too but usually once you've gone through a retension on a chain, they'll keep everything under tension).

Only time I ever lost anything off a truck on over 1.5 million miles was off a42 ft flatbed , had a pallet of rolled roofing with a couple of tarps strapped to it and took a left turn up a steep hill and the frame flex twisted the straps around and ripped the binding around the rolls apart and it all went bouncing off onto the sidewalk.

I pulled off into a church parking lot and the guy behind me in a little truck pulled in and said , hop in I'll give you a hand ( Small town Arkansas ), and we get back around the block and there was some guy loading one of my tarps into his van ( definitely NOT a local boy :backoff Put a stop to that real quick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online