Will loose Torque converter bolts cause bad noises?

stevebates

Reaction score
Everything has been great with my '93 NA 2WD E4OD until the other night. Drove to work, no issues, cranked up to drive home, sounded like a can of nuts and bolts rattling around. I had to get home, so drove anyway. Noises stopped when underway, but came back each time I stopped at a light. I figured TC ate itself. Ordered a TC from RockAuto. Has been parked in the garage since then. Had this weekend to R&R torque converter. Started the take apart process, got to the TC bolts, all four are loose. Not handy loose, but not snug. While draining tranny, caught first fluid in a coffee filter to look for bits of metal, same with drain plug on TC. No shiny stuff found. Thinking of removing pan and checking filter, if no metal, tighten bolts, put back together, fill with tranny fluid and hope for the best. Will loose TC bolts cause bad noises?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be worried about re-using your current converter if it's been loose enough to make noise. That means the flexplate has been beating against the studs. I'd AT LEAST pull all four nuts off and slide the converter back and check the condition of the threads. If it's been beating on them very long they could be worn down and weakened.

If the threads check out fine, I'd torque them back down and see if it's still making the noise. If it's not, back them off again and use some loctite before torquing them back down. I'd do it in that order because if you have to pull them back off anyway it would be nice to NOT have the loctite on there.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. I had the same thing happen. No damage occurred to the flex plate or bolts but I thought for sure the transfer case was coming apart.

I re-torqued them with a dab of red loctite and all has been well.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
You might do well to replace the bolts, provided there is no damage to the flex plate. Loctite is your friend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online