What should I look for in a junkyard 6.9?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I'd like to snag a pick-n-pull engine for ~$200, a good bit less if I can get in on a half price day, but don't want to buy a 1000# boat anchor, so I wondered if there is any good visual inspection that I can do to make to be fairly sure I'm getting something worth while, I realize there are no guarantees.

I figured I'd pull the heads and check the cylinder walls for wear, it would be nice to find one that dosn't require a bunch of machining, and I'd like to make sure it comes with all the accessories so I can send cores back for rebuilding (injectors, IP).

The main purpose is to build an engine without taking the truck off the road :thumbsup:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you are going to get what you pay for. pick and pull gets the stuff the other wrecking yards pass up. domestic diesels are a hot comodity if they run. i have yet to see a IDI diesel in a west coast pick and pull that wasn't completely used up. but at least you should get a good block out of it. you're better off hitting CL and buying a running truck and selling off the parts that you don't want.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I've seen some interesting stuff in the junkyard, I fugured I could find one with blown head gaskets or dead glow plugs, my buddy picked up a brand new clutch from a BMW once, looks like the owner just quit fixin the car. I've found the cars that people sell as "junk" are often better than some people sell as "good running vehicle with a couple minor issues"

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cars i will agree with you. pick and pull has some good finds at times. trucks otoh, go through quite a few more levels of revival/filtering before hitting pick and pull. but hey, what do I know...from a towing company standpoint, I can get better $$$ out of many other sources before shipping a junk truck to them. lord knows enough local members here have benifited from canibalizing parties on my driveway. ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
lord knows enough local members here have benifited from canibalizing parties on my driveway. ;Sweet
LOL All too true!

FWIW, I've seen exactly one IDI in a Pick n' Pull yard. It was a 6.9l in an '84 or '85 E-series van...I think this was maybe 6 months ago now, but it was quite a while ago. The engine had been rather well picked through already; there wasn't anything worth grabbing (other than the diesel light cluster in the dash, which I now have as a spare ;Sweet).

I've found that finding an '80-'86 F-series is not an easy thing in a Pick n' Pull yard, and '87-'91's almost don't exist. I've never seen a '92-'97 at all...OTOH, I'm not a regular visitor, so maybe I've just had bad luck? Hardly any W123 M-B's either ;)

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I'd say you know a lot more than the average person about these trucks, trouble is when diesel costs $0.50 more a gallon than premium gasoline and the truck quits running only the diesel diehards are going to fix it, for the price of a couple new heads installed you can get a descent used gasoline truck that is quiet (I've heard some people like quiet cars cookoo), many people just want the easy way out, "make it gone", see the big signs "cash for junk cars" and they are in :rotflmao

I saw an ad on CL for a truck a while back, registered, runs great, starts when it is warm, but not cold :rolleyes:, $500 wish I had a place for it -cuss that's what I'm looking for.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Warden- it is partly luck, and partly volume, when I go I usually hit Fairfield in the morning, then head for Rancho Cordova, hit both yards, and then head for south Sacramento yard. We split fuel, even with prices what they are it comes to arround $25-30 each, less if I can keep the engine off the governer :rotflmao. Last trip was months ago, but saw at least a couple dozen 80-86 trucks, at least 3 diesels, got a t19 from one ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online