Truble Stating ...What GPR should I Get

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Tonight after work it was about 48-50 out and wet, been raining all day.....so it's wet and cold...

Go to start truck (97 F250 PSD) and it spins fine, but does not catch..tried cycling the GPR and then letting it sit on...did it over and over...almost 25 min worth....finely she caught and started just as the batteries were dying.....chugged a little and then ran fine...

Tack seemed to be jumping around 1/4 inch when cranking, or not quite that much...it was dark & had to hold the cell phone up to see the tach & was not doing it every time, but I really doubt it was the CPS.....hopefully anywhoo...

Ideas?????

Need to run around and get a GPR, thinking the one GPR-109 one from NAPA, but not sure...and not sure who else stocks em other than Ford (hopefully)

Thoughts????

mojoman

Reaction score
buy the Stancor 586-902 or 586-903...remember...these NAPA GPR's are all 12 volt...the electrical on vehicles is closer to 14 volts...this is why these 12 volt GPR's fail after awhile...the Stancore carries 15 volts...hth

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, that's the one to get.

Go here for how to install. It says for 2002 but it can be done on any PSD.
http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/s_gpr.php

Stancor (White Rogers)
Mouser Electronics $45
802-586-902

Not sure about your GPR failing, sounds more like your CPS is failing. I would change that first. Available from an IH truck dealer or Ford, about $26.

IH numbers.Black or Blue may not be available.
Black 1825899
Blue 1876736C91
Gray 1876735C91 This one available for sure.

Last edited:

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Managed to get one from International # 1826634C94, need to do it Sunday as have zero avaiblity from now till then to work on truck, sure hope this fixes things, if not will have to go the CPS route, but it was replaced a couple years ago....so hopefully it's just the GPR.....

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend the Motorcraft OEM relay. I don't know anything about the Stancor relay. When the no start happened, did it smoke? In other words was it fueling or not. If the glow plugs were not tuning on it would smoke up the parking lot.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stancor is the only way to go.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Yep, she was smoking up the parking lot when she was not firing up......put the Internationa GPR in and have not had a bit of trouble since.....

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The IH GP Relay will work fine for you. It may not last as long as the Stancor but it'll work. Have you ever changed glow plugs or are you still on the originals?

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
The IH GP Relay will work fine for you. It may not last as long as the Stancor but it'll work. Have you ever changed glow plugs or are you still on the originals?

have changed out the original set about 4-5 years ago.....

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a lot of experience w/ 7.3's, but i've always went with the OEM Motorcraft GPR. Where does one learn more and purchase a stancor relay?

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys my dad has a 2001 7.3 powerstroke and it is a bear to start even at 60 degrees! but we have replace the glow plug relay because the old one was burnt up. but now it is still really hard to start and when it does start it runs really bad misses knocks and shakes the truck.(i've read some people call it a popcorn maker) we are thinking injectors bad?? and sorry in advance if this is a stupid question im a IDI guy, i dont know alot about these powerstrokes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.