Trans Has finaly given up.

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
I was driving to town today and noticed a wierdsound when I was sitting at the red light. It sounded like an air leak almost, or a high pitched rattle. I made it to town, did what I had to do, and on the way home it didnt want to pull very good when the torque converter was unlocked. Once it locked it pulled fine. I pulled the cover off the bottom and found the noise coming from in there because it got way louder. It has 117,000 miles on it. Anyone experience something like this before? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
P.S. If I had the money, I would be on the phone with BTS but I dont this week so maybe next time.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch....do you have a temp guage installed? I would suggest not driving it, maybe if its just the TC you can salvage the rest of the tranny if you dont grenade the TC throughout the rest of the components.

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
Yea, I aint going anywhere in it but let me tell you, it sucks not haveing a ride. I dont know what I am going to do about going and getting parts. No temp gauge installed because I rarely tow anything. I just hope its just the converter. It is making a very strange noise like I described and when you shift it to reverse it takes a second and it acts like the torque converter is locked. Oh well, thats the way it goes for me.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any tranny shop ought to be able to get you a stock TC, your Ford dealer can too. Are you really going to get rid of the old gal?

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Any tranny shop ought to be able to get you a stock TC, your Ford dealer can too. Are you really going to get rid of the old gal?
Yea, I guess so. If I can get the dodge dealer to get right on their price I will trade her on a regular cab 4x4 dually cummins and 6 speed MANUAL trans. It has been a good truck but its time for me to move on.

BJS

Reaction score
check w/ dale @ powerstrokeshop.com he can get you one, you could even upgrade it a bit w/ the t/c from a 4r100 or if you're just getting rid of the truck then you should be able to get the t/c from a junk yard around you.

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
Evedently we have a fairly large torque converter manufacturer/distributer in Memphis. He said he has the same tripple disc, billet cover converter that some of the big names sell for $1200. He even showed me some that were painted certain colors like you would see and certain custom trans shops. I bought one that was unpainted except for the billet cover and it was blue. It says on the box, "tripple disc, billet cover, low stall lock up converter. I dont know if its all it says but the price was decent I guess at $400. We will see. I got mine out and was holding it up and turning it and you can hear metal fins and crap rolling around. I just hope the metal didnt get too far into the trans. Oh well, well see!!!!!!!!!
I will post back about the results.

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
No go, I got it back together and went to drive it. It does fine under light throtle but if you mash it when the new converter is locked up then it slips in and out of lock up. It is slow to take reverse also. I also think the pump has gone down cause when in reverse it makes a cavitating type sound, almost like the torque converter isnt full. Oh well, time to start saving and looking at it sit in the drive. Sucks to be me! Anybody know what a fair price to rebuild is?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling this screwed you,

I got mine out and was holding it up and turning it and you can hear metal fins and crap rolling around. I just hope the metal didnt get too far into the trans.

DezlWezl

F'in broke
Reaction score
King(Soon to be god) Willie Herenton's Kingdom of
DmaxEter said:
No go, I got it back together and went to drive it. It does fine under light throtle but if you mash it when the new converter is locked up then it slips in and out of lock up. It is slow to take reverse also. I also think the pump has gone down cause when in reverse it makes a cavitating type sound, almost like the torque converter isnt full. Oh well, time to start saving and looking at it sit in the drive. Sucks to be me! Anybody know what a fair price to rebuild is?

DmaxEter-I'm from the ******** of Memfrica as well. We've talked on TDS. There's a guy right around the corner from the Mack shop. It's Parrish Transmission on Linden. I got a full-welded T/C and complete rebuild for around $1400. It seems to be doing very well. You might find better, but I had a few people recommend him. He used to run the Coleman-Taylor operation.

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
Wow Dezl, I know right where you are talking about. What kind of warranty did they give you? That sounds like a decent price. I know you get what you pay for. I hope they can salvege that new torque covnerter. Oh well.

BJS

Reaction score
double check your fluid level I've had vehicles do rather similar with low fluid levels the reverse problem signals either low fluid or a pump problem since reverse is such a thirsty gear. I'm thinking/hoping that you're just a touch low on fluid

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
BJS said:
double check your fluid level I've had vehicles do rather similar with low fluid levels the reverse problem signals either low fluid or a pump problem since reverse is such a thirsty gear. I'm thinking/hoping that you're just a touch low on fluid
Thanks, I know some trans are that way so I think I may have over filled mine by a little bit. The old 350's and 400's were really slow to fill the converters up if memory serves me and that was the main symptom, slow to take reverse. I may mess with it some more this evening, I mean hey, What more can I hurt? LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online