tranny to the shop 4EOD

farmerscotty

Reaction score
ok my 92 has probably shelled the torque converter........very bad noise and I have only drove it like 4 or 5 miles with the noise.....So that is not bad that way. I am going to have it pulled out and a new torque converter and front seal and pump put in.........anything else I should have them double check. If the rest is trashed.......(filter and fluid changed less than 1 thousand miles back) nothing bad was in pan then. I plan on having a reman Ford tranny put in.......2200 bucks.......ouch! but 3 year 75 k warranty.

If you have been thru a deal like this.........let me know what to do.........

truck only has 125k on it..............

PS found a dana 70 rear end for the 83 for $100 dollars.......life is good there. Running a 40%mix of atf and diesel in it.......so far so good started like normal at 4 F couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for advice

scott

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been there. I am not a fan of ford rebuilds. I went there for the warranty. And have had 4 in the 36,000 warranty. Then got told to go to @#% when I wanted a new warranty on the last one.
I would, and probably soon will go with one from Brian's Truck Shop.
Good luck on what ever you decide to do.

Others have had good luck with Ford. I have not.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Where are you at?You can do better than Ford rebuilds any day.I had one rebuilt for $1500 and that includes Parts,labor,everything.I got steel planetaries and an extra clutch per pack and a shift kit installed.Too bad the engine died right afterwards....sucker shifted GREAT for the few months I drove it.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Ford reman for $1923 (jobber price plus the parts guy likes me) after my $1200 salvage yard transmission lasted less than 3 weeks. I ran the heck out of that van for about 25K miles until I traded it away. Of course I DID install a "pressure riser" module to keep the line pressures up.

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not put a reman ford trans in unless they have done all the up grades, thier are a whole bunch of them. Talk to your local trans shop, thier are bearings, cluth packs , code 62 pump kits , different bearings --- the list goes on. For the T/C get the best one you can afford (do a search) , at a min get the RV T/C ( the ford reman are sh-t). Make sure that the shop 'blows out' all the lines and cooler. I am not a fan of the trans as stock but when I rebuilt mine, with all the recomended mods, it now is a good trans.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Fords are re-manufactured, not re-built. That means that they have all of the newest design parts in them.

The most important thing is to fix whatever killed the old transmission. Many times it is driving with a bad trans sensor.

farmerscotty

Reaction score
reman tranny on order.....2294.00 for it......but I need to know what kind of transmission cooler to put on it. Ford wants another 150-200 for one. They told me I could do better an just bring it to them>?

So, what do I need to get....? Oreilly's or Auto zone are handy....

Scott

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Get the Biggest one you can find.More passes the better.The Ford version sucks.....Main reason many trannies fail in teh first place.Undersized coolers.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get a hayden, or permacool. 20,000 GVW and add a fan so you have it if needed in slow traffic.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
reman tranny on order.....2294.00 for it......but I need to know what kind of transmission cooler to put on it. Ford wants another 150-200 for one. They told me I could do better an just bring it to them>?

So, what do I need to get....? Oreilly's or Auto zone are handy....

Scott

The last one I got I picked up at Murray's for something like $60, I believe I just bought the biggest one they had in stock.

Make sure the dealer goofballs don't go and bypass the in-radiator cooler. That cooler does the majority of the cooling at low speeds, and is more efficient than the external cooler.

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not forget to get a trans temp. Who ever is going to do the install make sure they clean out the trans lines and cooler. The set up I have on the 94, is the trans cooler (plate design 20k) and fan are mounted in the front bumper. On the supply line ( to the cooler - line nearest the bell housing) I have a X with compression fittings, inlet - outlet, the other 2 sides are the temp guage sensor and a temp switch (180) for the fan.

farmerscotty

Reaction score
trucks come home tomorrow.......with only 127 k on it.......should be good for a long time. Change the fuel filter and drive drive drive........thanks for the information. Got the biggest add on I could get........should help. On my little junk s-10 I used the condenser coil for the AC unit for a transmission cooler........now that is a cooler!

Scott