The best reason to own an IDI

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
Have any of you guys seen "War of the Worlds"?

-what would make an IDI so desirable in this movie?

Hint: There was an article in popular mechanics a couple years ago about these Electro magnetic pulse bombs that would wipe out all computer chips.( kind of like the alien lighting storms). The editor made note that the only vehilcles runnig would be mechanically injected diesels.

-Supporting the cliche "Real trucks don't have spark plugs!" ;Sweet

Last edited:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
i dunno how these bombs work, but if it killed all electricity, the truck probably wouldn't turn over, and even if it did, the alternator wouldn't charge the batteries.

essentially I need to get one of those crank starts like the old 1920's planes had :)

OldiesF250

dedicated....
Reaction score
well i mean the haircut in my avatar has to make the truck do something.... like maybe grow wings and fly...

in my dreams though.

if there was ever a bomb that did that, no body would be alive, everything you went to do would be disabled. thus, the world would go back into the mechanical ages and life as we know it would be in a backspin starting from nothing all over. but it couldnt be too bad because i think the world needs to slow down and chill out sometimes.

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
I think emp's only destroy microchips via electrostatic. Should have no effect on starters and other simple stuff. I think the worse we would be out is tunes. :backoff :draw And the E4od guys might be stuck in 1st! :rotflmao You make a very interesting point though...if these things ever get developed large scale.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Yep, I like the simple electronics in these things too. I had alternator problems on my old VW diesel, same thing, 1 wire to run it. It was great, as long as I didn't use the head lights, I could run for days with out charging. Park on a hill to roll start it, and away you go!

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I could be mistaken here. But i thought that when an EMP wave hit something, if the electrical device was not active such as having electricity flow through it, it wouldn't be effected. So all the cars that would be sitting around with no electricity going to their computers would be fine.

And with our E4OD's we might still have first or something with no computer. :Sly

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
In a real world aplication it could be usefull for robbing banks, whereas onstar would get you in trouble, thet would track you from your lisence plate and when they found you they would turn your engine off, not with IDI LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP) weapon is said to induce voltages in semiconductors sufficient to break down the N and P junctions causing permenent "brain" damage to silicon devices, on or off. This is why the computer thing is an issue. All it might do to a manual trans IDI is break your radio. -cuss

As for an alternate reason for owning an IDI.....

How about using it to TOW the only non-Ford at an IDI event? ;p