Testing the tank switcher valve

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Well, based on some other posts, it looks like a case of bad tank valves is going around. I need to test mine out, but I have some questions.

Can I safely remove it with both tanks full? Or is it going to siphon all my fuel onto the floor? Is there any good way to test it installed? Or is removing it the best/only way?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can listen to it click if you switch the valve while the key's ON and the truck isn't running.

But, I don't know of a sure-fire way to test it without pulling it off the truck...and pulling it off the truck with full tanks will inevitably result in you taking a shower in diesel fuel (yes, I found this out the hard way :shocked: )...but, I don't think the shower can really be helped unless you drain the tanks altogether. But, the lower the level of fuel in the tanks, the better...you can plug the lines, but not fast enough to keep from losing SOME fuel. Once it's off, testing is pretty easy...

Dumb question, but have you checked the fuse to make sure it's still happy? Might not hurt to check the switch as well.

My tank valve's about 3 1/2 years old now and was used when I installed it...should I find some wood to touch (a 'la Fred)?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F350camper said:
Can I safely remove it with both tanks full? Or is it going to siphon all my fuel onto the floor? (you are gonna get a shower) Is there any good way to test it installed? (KOEO, have someone flip the switch while you are under the truck and listening for the motor in the valve. 2nd, if you are experiencing a blockage, disconect the return line from engine to valve and run the truck to see if the blockage does not occurr upstream. Or is removing it the best/only way? idon't remove the darn thing unless if i absolutely have to. its a messy job.
got lazy. see above replies to quote. :D

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Great, thanks guys. :mad: Perfect time of year to be dealing with this. ;Really

So one more question then. Which one of you fella's is gonna drive out here and fix this for me? :D :rotflmao :D :Sly

jvencius

Reaction score
F350camper said:
So one more question then. Which one of you fella's is gonna drive out here and fix this for me? :D :rotflmao :D :Sly

Where are you at in CO? I'm up in Cheyenne, WY and although I'm tied up for the next few days, I'm willing to bend a wrench or two, provided that you're close enough. If you're in Trinidad, or over near 4 Corners, sorry, you're SOL for help from me (unless it's a genuine emergency, if so, I'll be on the road to help).

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Hey jvencius!

Thanks for the offer. That's what I love about this site. Lots of good folks willing to help. Not to worry on this one though, I'll get off my lazy butt, stop my whining, and fix her up. Definitely not an emergency situation.

I'm not too far from you though. I'm just north of Denver, be sure and let me know if you need any help up your way sometime also.

Last edited: