starting blues

rip van sparky

Reaction score
Okay, heres the deal. I replaced 4 of 5 bad glow plugs yesterday. The truck started, albeit hard. It was no warmer than 40. Today I replaced the fifth bad plug (other three autolites to be replaced tomorrow) and the truck would not start without a jump. It was also alot warmer today. The GP controller is working fine, it stayed on a lot longer today than it did yesterday. It was almost like the GPs sucked the batteries dry before I even started cranking. The batteries are less than 2 months old, Interstates the dealer put in the truck when I bought it. To my dismay I realized that the ccas combined are only about 1260. I have seen posts stating that the ccas should be about 2000. So do I need to rob the big truck batteries off of my F7000 while it awaits a valve job or could I have a lazy starter? Before replacing the GPs I would have to crank it alot to get it to start, before the weather got cool. The batteries never gave me any problems then. It still turns over six or seven times before it even puffs any smoke if it has been sitting overnight. I suspect that there is some kind of bleed down. Also, the initial smoke puffs while trying to start are white, I have read that this is contributed to air entering the system somewhere while sitting, is this correct? As soon as it starts it blows black. If it has been run within several hours it always starts immediately. I love my truck but it's frustrating when it won't start on a warm day but my Mack, which doesn't have GPs or air preheaters or any other starting aids will start at half crank on a nasty cold morning, where did IH go wrong? Well, I'm not too discouraged, I'm sure with the wealth of knowledge here that I will get this jewel all straightened out. Well, got to go pick up a new injector before they close. Peace Out

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
Plug the block heater in and see how she starts, If its still hard to start u got a pre heating problem, If it lites of right away then its another problem, It should be able to light off with even just a few gp at 40*f

sassyrel

Reaction score
rip--if you have autolites in there--GET THEM OUT--their notorious for burning the tips off--and guess where they go??!! get the berus at autozone for about 8 apiece--

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online