Side Step & Grab Rails

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please share a pic of your side step and grab rails. My truck is so hard to get into and out of, hence the tear on that pretty blue bench seat.

What side step do you recommend?
What grab rail do you recommend?

Picture is worth a thousand words!

gandalf

Reaction score
When you say side step I'm assuming you mean a good old-fashion running board. You step up from the ground to the running board and then into the truck. That's what I have. It's a necessity to get my wife into the truck. You can see one in the following picture. It's a 2 piece affair, breaking at the cab/box line. I had to remove the rear portion due to the cabover attachment. I have no grab bars to help steady anyone as the get into the truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

I hope this is what you had in mind. Let me know if you need anything closer. I'm not sure what brand they are. It might be on there somewhere.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These things are cheap, and I wonder if they are even worth it:

gandalf

Reaction score
I had a set similar to those on my '86 truck. They worked well enough helping get into the truck, until somebody (it wasn't me) decided to try rock crawling and bent one badly. Also, you couldn't use it to reach and wash your windshield, the way I can do with the full length model I have now.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sorry no grab handles, I'm 69" and my truck is only leveled out and I find my hoop steps very handy.

And no that hoop step does not directly mount, the top is the mounting surface for out trucks with the side bolting to the rib under the cab for support. I posted a pic for another member a while back, I'll see if I still have it.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You want the mounting surface to look like that, should be the same price as the one you posted, think the local off road shop wants $60 for a set of natural finish.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm also one for the full length running boards. Same reason as Gandalf, cleaning my windshield.
I don't have grab handles installed, yet. But I do have them. Maybe I can throw them on later this evening, and get you some pics.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm also one for the full length running boards. Same reason as Gandalf, cleaning my windshield.
I have to agree with that logic, plus I like the look, and I think that they're sturdier than the individual steps.

I just wish I could find a set of running boards (not the tube-steps) that bolt directly to the frame...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you need to be honest with yourself. are you a skinny SOB or are you a fatboy. the hoops shown that bolt into the cab are not fatboy friendly. over time, they will rip though the body. i've done it. all my steps are now frame mounted. .

gandalf

Reaction score
you need to be honest with yourself. are you a skinny SOB or are you a fatboy. the hoops shown that bolt into the cab are not fatboy friendly. over time, they will rip though the body. i've done it. all my steps are now frame mounted. .

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
everyone likes to eat a cheeseburger, but when they do... some people eat two.
<----------------------------

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Of course I'm only around 150, but I can jump around on the front part of mine, and they still feel plenty sturdy. The rear I can feel a little give. But I do need to straighten out the supports, as they've been bent before.

I only wish mine stuck out a little further.
I do have a second set coming from my brother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online