Shackle reversal possible on our trucks?

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see that the later model trucks are reversing their shackles to improve the ride quality. I wonder if anyone makes a kit to do this to our trucks or if anyone has ever homemade their own kit.
I am in the middle of getting all the parts together to swap in a Dana60 front axle and so while everything is apart I could also do the shackle reversal.

I have heard that the track bar will not be used on a shackle reversal truck so that is of benefit to me because that is one piece I dont have collected just yet. :Sly
I also noticed the 60 has brackets for a swaybar. My ttb-50 doesnt have a swaybar at all so I wonder what to do about that. Should I rig a swaybar on or just not worry about it.

Anybody have an opinion, funny story or an experience they want to share?
Thanks,
Eric

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
There is a company that makes a reverse shackle kit. I think Zigg posted something about it one time, it was pricey! I do not have the sway bar on mine, it was not included on the truck I removed the D60 from, so I didn't go looking for one. My truck drives very nice without one, but I did add the F350 springs as well as a Add-a-leaf kit to get the ride height where I wanted it. All in all, it actually rides very nice. The only thing that I have noticed is that small washboard style bumps will get your attention, but aren't really that bad. On bigger bumps, it rides very nice.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reverse shackle is not for use on the D50TTB type axle with the reverse arch springs. It actually makes the ride worse.

If you do the D60 swap with the positive arch springs, then it may be worthwhile. I haven't done it, but know a guy who built his own, and it works well, but I couldn't tell much difference in ride from his truck to mine. He says it makes it much more responsive and stable on the hwy.?! Lifts the truck approx. 2 " in the front, so he now has a negative rake angle on his which I don't like. He did go with the stock track bar, but made a drop bracket for it due to the bump steer it causes when on an angle...

..click here for a diag..

Do a search for a company called "ORU", they make a kit. Not cheap though...

Zigg :)

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if I could buy a kit for a stuperduty and rig it up to use on my truck with stuperduty front springs instead of my worn out reverse arch springs.

Seems like everyone with a stuperduty lifts it to the moon so a good set of factory height diesel springs should be fairly easy to come by.

What d'ya think about that :Sly

Thanks,
Eric

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
ORU makes a nice kit. Its a bit pricey but it does really impove the ride and also makes the front axle a little more rigid. ORU's shackle design is superior to Fords A shaped shackle. You have to use a solid front axle (Dana 60) with this kits. The reverse shackle kit will mess up the suspension geometry on the TTB.
Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US