Reunel Horror Story

The Hajj

Reaction score
Guys,

Over two months ago I ordered a front winch and standard rear bumper for my 2000 Ford F350. The front bumper was ordered with 2 sets of PIAA lights, diamond decking, heavy duty tubing, and a winch. The rear bumper was ordered with PIAA lights. I was told it would take 4 to 6 weeks for the bumpers to be built and delivered. Nine weeks later, the bumpers were finally delivered to the shop doing the installation. The time delay was no big deal but what followed is a complete disaster.

The diamond decking was not installed on the front bumper, but I let that slide since I was not charged for it. The front bumper bolted onto my pickup easily and everything seemed fine until the lights were to be installed. The cutouts for the smaller PIAA's were incorrect and the lights would not fit properly. No problem, we just reworked the holes a bit and got the lights in without too much grief. The winch mounted fairly easily but we started to notice some chipping of the paint in several places on the bumper. At first I thought it was damaged during freight, but it became apparent that the scratching was being cause by air hoses rubbing against the paint. Yes, that is correct. The air hoses were rubbing on the bumper and damaging the paint!

It gets even better...

The rear bumper was ordered with inserted PIAA 1500 lights. The holes in the bumper were cut for PIAA 40 lights. Again, I thought no big deal, I simply exchanged the 1500's for 40's, and proceeded with the installation. When we tried to install the 40's we found that the lights extended out past the face of the bumper and that the holes were cut much too large for the lights. There was an ugly 1/2" gap between the lens and the edge of the cutout all around. When we removed the rubber molding from the edge of the cutouts to see if we could set the lights back any further, the paint peeled off the bumper!

I called Reunel to explain the situation and was told the following:

1. "Although we manufacture a great bumper, our paint jobs are not very good. Many people complain about our paint, but it would be too expensive to powder coat our bumpers." They then offered to send me a can of touch-up paint for my bumpers.

2. "We only offer PIAA 40 cutouts in our rear bumpers. Someone should have told you this when you placed your order."

3. "The rear bumper lights are supposed to stick out past the bumper. We do this so all the light shines out, not just some of it." When I asked about the potential breakage if someone or something hit the bumper, I was told, "We don't think it's a problem."

4. "If you do not like the bumpers send them back, but you have to pay the freight charges." When I asked about all the extra labor costs incurred they told me, "We do not deal with those issues."

I am a business owner and deal with the retail public on a daily basis, so I am very reluctant to hassle other businesses or bash them on the web, but this is ridiculous. When someone pays $3000 for two bumpers advertised as "the highest quality bumpers available", they do not expect to see shoddy workmanship and poor paint. The lack of customer service is another issue in itself. Reunel Manufacturing admitted to me that their paint quality was not very good, but they refused to properly paint the bumpers or credit my account to allow a third party to paint the bumpers properly. They did not even accept responsibility for the incorrect light holes and the missing diamond decking. Their rudeness and arrogance was only exceeded by their ignorance.

I hope this information will prevent any of you from having to go through a similar mess.

Regards,

The Hajj

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
Hajj,

Really sorry to hear about your bad expirience with Reinell. I have always loved the look of their bumpers, however you expirience will make me think twice about what to get when the time comes for new bumpers.

Reinell is located only about 20 minutes from where I live, so if I can do anything to help, let me know and I will be happy to.

-Casey

The Hajj

Reaction score
Thank you Casey!

I thank you for your offer to help, but there really is nothing to be done right now. The ball is in Reunel's hands and we are waiting to hear from them.

The bumpers have been reworked to allow all the lights to fit properly and they have been refinished. I chose to have them Line-X coated in black. The cost was slightly less than stripping and powder coating and I like the way it will match with the bedliner. I also believe it will hold up against rock chips, brush, etc. better than paint.

I would also like to thank everyone on this forum, as well as the SuperDutyDiesel forum, for helping me with this issue and many other technical matters. All of your support is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

The Hajj

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Dang thats harsh man I know you can't please everyone but they didn't even try to do anything to make it right or even sound like they care our fire dept has one of thier bumpers on the brush truck and it looks like crap if you don't mind me asking how much the line X cost ya I built my own bumper and used the spray on bedliner in a can and so far its standing up real well but I don't have the abbillity to change the color or if it seems to not last I'm looking for other options I got a couple more to build in the wings right now Thanks ;Sweet

Attachments

• tow1.JPG
    tow1.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 22

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
The Hajj said:
1. "Although we manufacture a great bumper, our paint jobs are not very good. Many people complain about our paint, but it would be too expensive to powder coat our bumpers." They then offered to send me a can of touch-up paint for my bumpers.

cookoo cookoo cookoo cookoo cookoo I will never buy a new Reneul bumper...a good paint job is very easy to complete and better than powder coating, powder coating is not the cats ass on large items that will experience impacts cookoo proper selection of a paint that will be soft enough to not readily chip but will still be tough enough to last... then get a good painter, sounds like they are cheaping out on production costs :puke:

jvencius

Reaction score
NapaBavarian said:
cookoo cookoo cookoo cookoo cookoo I will never buy a new Reneul bumper...sounds like they are cheaping out on production costs :puke:

If they are cheaping out on production costs, they sure as hell aren't passing the savings on to the customers... :eek:

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
smokin_stroker00 said:
I would build my own bumpers before I spent $3000 on them. You already did most the work yourself anyways.

I've actually seriously thought about starting my own company in small town america, somewhere that is buisness friendly...not California :puke:

The Hajj

Reaction score
Smokin - I have a manufacturing company, but we are not fabricators, so it would cost me much more than $3000 in materials and man hours to build my own bumpers. I wanted a professionally built bumper that would fit and function properly. Although the Reunel bumpers needed some extra work to fit the lights properly and a new finish, the overall construction is very good. The bumpers fit my F350 perfectly.

93 - The local Line-X shop did both bumpers for a total cost of $400. The finish is much better than the Reunel paint job.

Regards,

The Hajj

Attachments

• Reunel Front.JPG
    Reunel Front.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 36

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Thanks looks pretty good although theres no way you would have over $3000 in your bumpers making them your self I know

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Hajj, You bumper looks great. Glad you're finally happy. I've been to Reunel's "new" plant in Maxwell, Ca when I got mine three years ago. My paint job has a few chips and I wish they at least primed the bumper. Nope. They never offered me a can of spray paint. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tony

Members online