Question on E40D torque converter is locking, and unlocking

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your tach sensor. My truck just started doing this again and I knew it wasn't my wiring cause I just redid it so I started looking under the hood. The insulation on my tach sensor (original most likey) had rubbed off and the wires must have been touching each other with the vibration from the engine. I think when they touch it makes the computer think your at WOT and kicks the tranny out of overdrive. I'm going to pick up a new sensor at the dealer tomorrow.

DragRag

Reaction score
Just a thought -If you install a convertor lockup switch (1 wire spliced to the compoutor thru the swutch to Ground -you will know if it is electrical or not.It will stay locked above 30 or so with no unlocks .

I have thought of this also, as a last resort I will do this. Thanks

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your tach sensor. My truck just started doing this again and I knew it wasn't my wiring cause I just redid it so I started looking under the hood. The insulation on my tach sensor (original most likey) had rubbed off and the wires must have been touching each other with the vibration from the engine. I think when they touch it makes the computer think your at WOT and kicks the tranny out of overdrive. I'm going to pick up a new sensor at the dealer tomorrow.

This happened to me as well. Exact same symptoms you are describing.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the tach go nuts at that point tho? I mean if there was an issue with the wires crossing at the sender, wouldn't you see it at the tach cause of the needle getting pegged or jumping around?

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the tach go nuts at that point tho? I mean if there was an issue with the wires crossing at the sender, wouldn't you see it at the tach cause of the needle getting pegged or jumping around?

mine would randomly lock and unlock without any noticeable difference in the tach. I tried lots of other solutions before the tach sensor because I asssumed that a bad tach sensor would result in a bad tach
FWIW That "bad" tach sensor is now on my current IDI which has a zf. I don't notice anything out of the ordinary with the tach.

topgunn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my T.C. was unlocking and locking back up , there was a jump in R.P.M.'s. While talking to my local trans guy. He was telling me about various things that could be reason. He moved wire plug on throttle Position unit a little showing what to check. I drove in with problem and left with out, about month later it started again. So just check anything that sends info to trans, cruise-control etc. I spent 4 yrs. with problem. Dis-connecting batt only reset it for a while. I really don't know if the bare wire under bed was problem as I changed to ZF5. That was a 100% cure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online