Problems With My TDI

Reaction score
I've been viewing this sight for a while now and didn't know about the TDI section. Soooo.....

I'm going to get on my soapbox here.

I've owned a TDI for about 2 years. '98 Jetta with a 5 speed about 140,000 miles on it when I bought it. Here are the details of my car:

1. As of current 3 of the 5 windows don't work (it has a sunroof)
2. I have a temporary fuel filter installed because the fuel filter is leaking air
3. I had to replumb the fuel to the ip because the clear line to fuel hose is leaking.
4. I've had to pull the intake manifold apart because it clogged up
5. The mass airflow sensor has gone south. Currently it is just unhooked to bypass it.
6. The relay for intermittent wipers took a growler.
7. Brought it to the dealer to have a new timing belt put on. They left the ip dowl pin in when they spun it over with the new belt...new belt went flying...TDI needs a new valve train.
8. Nobody can seem to align the front end on these darn things.
9. Fuel filters for the '98 are only available from the dealer and they are $50 a pop.
10. All the decals are falling off: Jetta off the back, TDI off the front.

Does everyone have these kinds of problems with these things or did I just get a bad egg? To me, the 40-50 mpg doesn't justify the expense in both time and money to keep it on the road.

On a lighter note, does anyone know where to find less expensive mass air flow sensors, and what are the cheap tricks for more ponies?

SeeYa

OB Vendor/ DP-Tuner
Reaction score
6point9diesel said:
I've been viewing this sight for a while now and didn't know about the TDI section. Soooo.....

I'm going to get on my soapbox here.

I've owned a TDI for about 2 years. '98 Jetta with a 5 speed about 140,000 miles on it when I bought it. Here are the details of my car:

1. As of current 3 of the 5 windows don't work (it has a sunroof)
2. I have a temporary fuel filter installed because the fuel filter is leaking air
3. I had to replumb the fuel to the ip because the clear line to fuel hose is leaking.
4. I've had to pull the intake manifold apart because it clogged up
5. The mass airflow sensor has gone south. Currently it is just unhooked to bypass it.
6. The relay for intermittent wipers took a growler.
7. Brought it to the dealer to have a new timing belt put on. They left the ip dowl pin in when they spun it over with the new belt...new belt went flying...TDI needs a new valve train.
8. Nobody can seem to align the front end on these darn things.
9. Fuel filters for the '98 are only available from the dealer and they are $50 a pop.
10. All the decals are falling off: Jetta off the back, TDI off the front.

Does everyone have these kinds of problems with these things or did I just get a bad egg? To me, the 40-50 mpg doesn't justify the expense in both time and money to keep it on the road.

On a lighter note, does anyone know where to find less expensive mass air flow sensors, and what are the cheap tricks for more ponies?

I personally don't think 140k on your car is out of the ordinary. Actually low for that year. I know of some that have that and more and they are 2000 and newer models. These cars are great for traveling so the miles don't seem all that much for the year. As for the windows have you looked at the electronics to see if some of the wiring has gone bad or a fuse maybe. The relay is known to go out on the wipers, go to the tdiclub.com website and do a search on it. I found it one time but don't have the link right now. The mass airflow going out is not uncommon, probably has been out several times before you got it. I really think that the problems you are having are not out of the ordnary for this type of vehicle. Check out tvaonline.com for the emblems.

Diane

JimmyDee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are not going to have to pay for that are you? Seems like they would be falling all over themselves to get that mistake repaired.
Jim

Reaction score
I did not have to pay for it. I got a 30,000 mile/1 year warranty on the engine, but I still won't bring it back to a dealer again.

I'll have to check on the internet sources for filters. So far everyone lists the '98 jetta but once you get the filter it's for a later model jetta. The '98 jetta has the o-ring on the return fitting, not the filter. It's different than most of the others.

paul

sassyrel

Reaction score
go to www.tdiclub.com and check out and read--then wont have to take it to a stealership--and have them destroy your prized possesion---

Wyatt Earp

Diesel Geek
Reaction score
The fuel filter you are looking for is made by MANN out of Germany. They make them for Audi, VW, MB etc. I was going to say try www.fleetguard.com but they only have them listed for gassers. I then tried www.donaldson.com and they have lots of items for VW but I'm afraid I couldn't find anything quickly.

Also, try www.dieselgeek.com This guys sells a package for your diesel VW. Pretty good pricing as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online