Poor mans RV

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow you must be old! In the 70s i was riding my bike still and collecting coke bottles for the deposit. Oh and thanks for the heads up on parts.

Wow you must be old! That's what my Dad was doing in the 70s! Sorry couldn't resist.

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a build on your van anywhere? I like it.
Thanks! The van has been a super fun project. Like anything, it is sometimes a love/hate relationship but most of the time it puts a smile on my face. I got the van with the drivetrain pretty much the way it sits but have installed the Sportsmobile poptop and built out the interior to work like a mini camper for the family. I documented a good part of my build on the homebuilt section of the sportsmobile forum under the same user name. Lots of cool 4x4 vans there... many of the newer rigs are worth more than the average guy's house! Once the kids get another year or two older (and I get the AC working in the van) we'll take a trip your way. Beautiful country out there! Sure is great to spend a weekend outside with the kids, isn't it?

This site has been such a wonderful resource for getting to know all the little in's and out's of these good ol' rigs that refuse to die! Good folks around here, without a doubt.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet your speedo gear is torn up.
I don't even know where you can get them. But pull the old one first so you get the right color.

Gears are still available at the dealer. Last one I bought was in the $10 range. Takes about 5 minutes to change out.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to OB. I have my crew cab to take the family camping as well. However, my wife wouldn't do the tent thing any longer and I use it to haul the 5th wheel camper. Can't wait to haul it north in a week and a half for the 2013 IDI rally.

Heath

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice to see another RME'er over here! Let me know if I can help you out with timing. Looks like a great Truck.