Oil pressure, inconsitent readings.....

Jamie

Reaction score
Yes, I know the factory gauge is a glorified dummy light. Having said that, what are some potential causes for inconsistencies in the readings. Sometimes, the needle hovers at the low end and sometimes it stays within normal. I did check the level, the truck seems to be working very well otherwise. Aside from installing an aftermarket mechanical guage, what are my options as far as troubleshooting goes? Shall I start with the sender?

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be either your guage or your sender, but its not your oil pressure. That guage is designed to read about 2/3 of the way through the normal range any time the sender has 7psi. When working as designed it shouldn't ever move. I would just toss the factory sender and put in a mechanical guage. It will tell you alot more about your engine.
If you want to try to fix the factory setup, the sending unit is cheap, but the instrument cluster is not.

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
i had the same problem.... i ended up checking the oil pressure sending unit( located on the back of motor close to the cdr) the wire attached to it was loose....maybe check that.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the dash grounds also, mine loosens up regularly, screw near the fuse block on the 91, dont know about yours.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online