O/D Light flashing. What code reader to get?

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1994 Ford F250 with the IDI (no turbo) truck I'm looking at with the flashing O/D light, which I know means there are error codes. I want to pull these codes but need to do it myself. I've read about the paperclip/ test light method (briefly) but would rather use a code scanner. I'm just not sure if I have the right one:
http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/sh...actron-code-scanner-for-ford-cp9015/9090231-p
I have read it is an OBD I code reader required and this is such, but the compatibility list does not list the 7.3L diesel. Will this sensor still work?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so you have a flashing od light so obviously its a trans issue. What you need to do is get online or if someone has it here is the flashcode list. You count the slow flashes versus fast flashes and see what it coincides with on the sheet. For example a code 25 would be 2 slow flashes and 5 fast flashes. Or you can pick up a red brick scan tool cheap nowadays (snap-on MT2500). Or if your lucky a factory ford scan tool that was lightly used on e-bay.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I have never seen an E4OD flash at different rates. As far as I knew the only way to check the codes was with a scanner.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the OD cancel button/light doesn't flash the codes.it flashes steady to let you know you have a code/s stored.if it
s "flickering" at different rates,this would indicate a power/ground/shorting issue.
the scanner you linked to will be the correct one. the OBD1.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNPRO-CODE...E-CP9015-/261402233314?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

that's an oldie like i have there on ebay^ but any of the ford obd1 like that will beep/flash the codes for ya.stupid easy to use.just remember to hold WOT for the idi during the KOEO or you'll get a false FIPL/TPS code/23.

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea my apologies. Wrong generation. I was thinking of my buddies truck which does actually flash out codes. Too exhausted to stare at this screen and think visual most of the time haha.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, that's cool. It was flashing though. I was going the scanner would work and wanted to have a good idea before I cracked it open, in case I needed to return it

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, the shifter was replaced after it got stuck in reverse. Could it simply be that the person who did that, who was by no means a mechanic, didn't get that right? The transmission was shifting hard from 1st to 2nd, so I was thinking it was running in limp mode

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online