No speedo, odometer, and flashing o/d light

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I pulled out of my driveway and my truck wouldnt shift out of first gear. I notcied the o/d light was flashing and the speedo was on zero, so I figured it must be the vss on the rear axle. But then I notcied the odometer wasnt on :dunno so now I'm lost. Any ideas on what can make the odometer stop working?

Thanks
Derek

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I pulled out of my driveway and my truck wouldnt shift out of first gear. I notcied the o/d light was flashing and the speedo was on zero, so I figured it must be the vss on the rear axle. But then I notcied the odometer wasnt on :dunno so now I'm lost. Any ideas on what can make the odometer stop working?

Thanks
Derek

theres a 4 am fuse in your panel for your guage lights, check the 15 amp for your tail lights and cig lighter they usually go at the same time. I belive your Od and speedo are on the tail light fuse or the 4 amp fuse. use to take it out in HS so mileage would match parentals estimates.

OD light flashing is limp home mode, turns pressures up in the transmission to help protect intergral parts, usually its up to 2nd gear only. hard shifts stuff like that

my 96 od light flashes and works just fine all the time, the shifts are way late though, even on the 2-3 rebuilds. (my fault) im told its a electrical problem kin the harness comeing from the trans mission. But im waiting for about another 1k on the trans before i go warranty it.

Try clearing codes, if you can.

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured it out finally, it was actualy a fuse, but it was in the power distrubution box under the hood. I replaced it, unhooked the batts for 10 mins, and added some dielectric grease on the speed sensor plug and everything seems to be fine now. Thanks guys ;Sweet

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it did it again tonight :dunno only this time it was under the dash and it was fuse #8. This seems to be occuring randomly because I replaced the fuse and went for a 30 min drive and it was fine. I guess I'll see how it acts on the way to work tomorrow. Hopefully I dont end up having to replace the speedo or something.

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it did it again tonight :dunno only this time it was under the dash and it was fuse #8. This seems to be occuring randomly because I replaced the fuse and went for a 30 min drive and it was fine. I guess I'll see how it acts on the way to work tomorrow. Hopefully I dont end up having to replace the speedo or something.

i cant really run out to my gen 9 right now, but is that the 4 am one or is it something completly different.

Long story short, i had a wire on my stereo ground out (i believe constant) and somehow it made my gauge lights stay on, but no speedo, no odomether, tranny limp home mode. had to do some re-wiring and replace that fuse

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a 15 amp but im praying it was just a fluke since I drove 45 mins to and from work today and it was fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance