New to me 74 f250 390

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some bad news with some good news.

The Bad:
I am working/living at a new company campground and we are located on a highway that is "Open Range". To all you city folk, that means all the ranchers do not have to maintain their fence and can let their cattle run free on the highway. Well, one pitch black night with no moon I drove my precious 6.9 straight into an all black angus cow. My girlfriend, my dog and I were all OK thanks to the weight of my truck. The cow did not make it, but she didnt suffer either. When I jumped out of the truck she was already dead.
The truck will need a whole new front. New radiator, hood, headlights etc. Being I do not have a garage, am busy at work every hour there is daylight and the temperatures are around 10F, I wont be able to fix the 6.9 until the spring.

The Good:
Someone I deliver wood to has been wanting to sell me his passed father's 74 390. After a little sob story about my accident, we agreed on $1300 and a cord of wood. The story goes that the seller and his father rebuilt the engine before he passed and there should only be about 30,000 miles on it. The motor sounds good but the truck still needs some TLC.

I am a shadetree mechanic without any proper training. The only time I learn is when Im on these forums or when something breaks on my truck. So please bare with me if I ask some pretty basic questions.
So far I have rebuilt the carb and replaced the mechanical fuel pump.

1. I have a battery drain and pulsing headlights and dash lights. I plan to clean all grounds and contacts. I may replace the alternator, it looks very old. There is the old style voltage regulator, I have no idea how it works. Can I turn it up? or should I just replace it with an electrical VR?

2. The truck starts cold or warm with or without the choke pulled out. I do not notice any change in idle or driving with the choke pulled in or out. This doesn't seem right to me. Sorry this is my first carbureted vehicle besides a dirtbike. Is there something I need to adjust?

3. Does elevation matter? I bought the truck at 1000ft, I live at 4500ft and I work at 7000ft.

Thanks for any help guys. I will update with some photos soon.

Last edited:

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members