New to me 300sd

BENZIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id look around for a junk yard they might have trans for a cheaper price the a new part.

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
Well, its confirmed. B2 piston is broke just like all the ones I see on the internet.
Looks like about $200 for parts including new filter and oil. Still with that, water pump and all still only in the car $750. Not too bad.

Scored 70 gallons of free deisel fuel yesterday too. :D

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
Well, apparantly I have an early model trans and the B2 piston is not as cheap as the later ones. Dealer qouted me $124 and it was $178, so with the other parts I got it was $209 and I still need a filter, gasket and oil. Oh well parts are ordered. Hopefully be here next week. Got to get the engine oil filter changed and refilled with oil, and the converter drained and I should be good to go.

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
So I have been looking around a bit about this b2 piston problem. I come across the dieselgiant website. Lots of information. So I decide I will buy the kit from him. Order it, get an email back from him that says this

Well you have the early tranny and the B2 piston I carry will NOT work in it. Mercedes has redesigned the piston and made it shorter, requiring you to have a longer push rod and new cover. You will have to get a tranny shop to do the job, because it must be measured and fitted to work. Sorry about this news.

So I email him back and ask if he has any more information because I will not bring it to a shop. I can do anything they can. No response.

So I go to the dealer and order the parts. Got them yesterday and it is not shorter and does not require any of the changes he said.

Not sure what is up with that. Dealer was really nice and gave me a free calendar.

Oh and I forgot to order a seal so hopefully I can just get that from the local bearing shop.

tgatch

Reaction score
Hey, if you want straight, good answers talk to Henry Schuman of Schuman Automotive. www.schumanautomotive.com. They guy has YEARS of experience working on Vintage Benz cars. He can usually get you parts at a good discount. There is a forum over there too.

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have checked it out a bit over there.

Well the B2 piston replacement was a success. Got it all zipped back up last night. Drove it around for about 2 miles and it runs great.
Now I need to go get the plates for it so I can actually drive it.

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
Wow. Drove the car about 40 miles yesterday. What a smooth, nice driving car. This is by far the best ride I have ever had.

I need to do some adjusting to the trans as it doesn't shift quite right but otherwise its all go.

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
Drove the car a bit today after I adjusted the tranny. Shifted great.

Until I parked it after a 15 mile or so trip.
Now it is having issues. Put the car in reverse and it acts normal(for it atleast) put the car in drive and it seems to be in high gear. Manually shift it and it will drop down to 2nd. No first even with the pedal to the floor hitting the switch. If you throw it in drive it instantly goes to 4th and stays there. No kickdown at all.

Also, once you have put it in drive it will not go back to park. It will barely go to reverse(has some resistance). Once you shut the car off, it will go right into park unless it was in reverse when shut off, then just pop into neutral then in park. It will go into reverse and back to park no problem, but as soon as you hit neutral it won't go past reverse.

I am thinking maybe a stuck valve in the valve body.
Trying to get onto schumans site but I seem to be having issues with receiving mail from them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7