New to me 300sd

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
Just drug this thing home. Hadn't been run or driven in 2 years. Fired right up with a battery. Needs lots of little things. Mostly tinkering. But heck what do you expect it was only $500:D

So I will probably be asking some Q's here in the next few weeks since I am a newbie to the benz.

You must be registered for see images attach

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not bad!! How many miles are on her? The body looks nice, other than the cancer spot and the paint...

What model year is it? Is it a "federal" or a "California" car?

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
Not bad!! How many miles are on her? The body looks nice, other than the cancer spot and the paint...

What model year is it? Is it a "federal" or a "California" car?

Its an 81. I haven't checked it out too much yet. Don't know if its a cali car or not.

Its pretty straight. Hood is a little whacked by the hinges. Its all fixable though. A little moldy and stinky.

The oil pan is caved in pretty good so I need to remove and straighten it. I am sure the valves need adjusted. It acts like the timing is retarded. Revs real slow and is has no power. Rough idle. Looks like all the injectors are leaking just a bit. Water pump is leaking. Couple of the windows are not working.
Do these need timing chain replacement at a certain point?

I cleaned out a spot in my shop for it today so it can sit till I get all the bugs worked out. Man these things are different. Only had a diesel for about a year now and this is nothing like that one(ford 6.9). I had fun learning all about that one so I am sure this will be too.

BENZIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probly has water mold god knows what else in the tank if its sat that long :eek: drop the tank/flush it before you any crap through the rest of the fuel system,might be why it reves slow bad fuel.
I would call junk yards for a replacement oil pan.
nice car ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its an 81. I haven't checked it out too much yet. Don't know if its a cali car or not.
For an '81, it doesn't make a difference. '84 and '85 California cars had added emissions control devices, most notably a trap oxidizer right behind the turbo on '85 cars. But, prior to that, there weren't any state-specific cars.

Its pretty straight. Hood is a little whacked by the hinges. Its all fixable though. A little moldy and stinky.
Where's the mold? The hood hinge drain spots might be clogged up...if they clog, the water that would drain out of there instead drains into the rear footwells. I call it "Lake Daimler Syndrome". PITA when it happens, but easily preventable. You might also check the windshield and rear window seals.

The oil pan is caved in pretty good so I need to remove and straighten it. I am sure the valves need adjusted. It acts like the timing is retarded. Revs real slow and is has no power. Rough idle. Looks like all the injectors are leaking just a bit. Water pump is leaking. Couple of the windows are not working.
Do these need timing chain replacement at a certain point?
Removing the lower oil pan's a simple task on these cars, and new ones are cheap enough that I'd recommend buying a new one (less than $60 at Mercedesshop) over scouring through a junkyard trying to find one that isn't caved in...caved-in oil pans are not uncommon on these cars.

Timing chains DO need to be replaced periodically, and the timing chain also drives the injector pump...so, as it stretches, it retards the timing. It's pretty easy to check; while you have the valve cover off to adjust the valves (which I would recommend doing ASAP, given the symptoms you described), look for a mark on the "inside" of the cam drive sproket and a corresponding mark on the tower holding the cam in place. Line them up by turning the engine over, and once they're perfectly lined up, look at the timing marks on the crank pulley. The mark SHOULD be at 0°, and IIRC anything more than 6° is cause for serious concern. Replacing a timing chain on these cars is not all that pleasant a task, but it is a DIY job.

Which windows are dead? Are the motors not spinning at all, or are you hearing a thumping sound? There are two fuses for the windows...one for the left front and right rear, and the other is for the right front and left rear. Bass ackwards, I know, but that's how M-B did it. If you're hearing a thumping sound, the regulator's bad...not all that uncommon, and not cheap :(

Replacing the water pump's an easy job on these cars. Can't hurt to do the thermostat at the same time...

Are the injectors themselves leaking, or is it the return hoses?

In regards to the rough idle, what's the RPM at? The engine mounts may be getting weak...they're actually a wear item on these cars; M-B designed them soft, to try and transmit as little vibration into the subframe (and therefore into the passenger compartment) as possible, but this compromised their strength. But, I'd adjust the valves and make sure the timing chain's happy before going further into that...

Hope this helps some...good luck, and welcome to the world of M-B's ;Sweet

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
Where's the mold? The hood hinge drain spots might be clogged up...if they clog, the water that would drain out of there instead drains into the rear footwells. I call it "Lake Daimler Syndrome". PITA when it happens, but easily preventable. You might also check the windshield and rear window seals.
Mold is throughout the car. The guy I bought it from told me that one of the windows had been broken out for a month or so without it being covered.

Removing the lower oil pan's a simple task on these cars, and new ones are cheap enough that I'd recommend buying a new one
I figured on just removing it and beating it back out.

Timing chains DO need to be replaced periodically, and the timing chain also drives the injector pump...so, as it stretches, it retards the timing. It's pretty easy to check; while you have the valve cover off to adjust the valves (which I would recommend doing ASAP, given the symptoms you described), look for a mark on the "inside" of the cam drive sproket and a corresponding mark on the tower holding the cam in place. Line them up by turning the engine over, and once they're perfectly lined up, look at the timing marks on the crank pulley. The mark SHOULD be at 0°, and IIRC anything more than 6° is cause for serious concern. Replacing a timing chain on these cars is not all that pleasant a task, but it is a DIY job.

Good info. I wasn't sure if there was an easy way to check it but that will be easy.

Which windows are dead? Are the motors not spinning at all, or are you hearing a thumping sound? There are two fuses for the windows...one for the left front and right rear, and the other is for the right front and left rear. Bass ackwards, I know, but that's how M-B did it. If you're hearing a thumping sound, the regulator's bad...not all that uncommon, and not cheap :(

Both drivers side are dead. No noise at all. The switches seem real sticky so I might just start with giving them a good cleaning.

Are the injectors themselves leaking, or is it the return hoses?
Looks to me like the injector itself. Down close to the head where the injector goes into the head its wet and a bit of bubbling while its running.

In regards to the rough idle, what's the RPM at? The engine mounts may be getting weak...they're actually a wear item on these cars; M-B designed them soft, to try and transmit as little vibration into the subframe (and therefore into the passenger compartment) as possible, but this compromised their strength. But, I'd adjust the valves and make sure the timing chain's happy before going further into that...

I think its idling about 650-700RPM Seems just a tad on the low side. First project on it is the valves and checkout the timing chain. Wheres a good place to get a new chain if I need it? I assume I would want to change the gears also?
Hope this helps some...good luck, and welcome to the world of M-B's ;Sweet

Great help. I can't beleive how big this car is. It doesn't look that big until I got it in the shop and see how much room it takes up.

Anyone know much about adjusting transmission bands in these cars? That will most likely be needing done before I start driving it too.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mold is throughout the car. The guy I bought it from told me that one of the windows had been broken out for a month or so without it being covered.
Oh, okay. Sounds like a fun clean-up job :( I would recommend checking the hinge drains anyways...basically, at the bottom of the area that the hood hinges fold into when the hood's closed. Also, one help is that the "main" floor carpet is easily removable. The carpet in each footwell is similar to a large floor mat, with insulation/filler underneath the carpet itself. There should be two snaps at the rear of each piece (on the fronts, they may be partially covered by the seat)...you can unsnap them and remove them, exposing the metal/sound deadening underneath. Makes them a LOT easier to clean! And, you can clean any mold underneath as well.

I figured on just removing it and beating it back out.
That might work, but the metal isn't all that strong, so you could also bust a hole in it. While the pan's off, I'd check the oil pickup tube as well.

Both drivers side are dead. No noise at all. The switches seem real sticky so I might just start with giving them a good cleaning.
You may well be right. Good news is, the switches are pretty easy to disassemble...and, with where they're located, it's not unheard of to spill stuff (water, soda, etc) onto the center console where it would easily go into and gum up the switches. They're not all that expensive to replace, either.

Looks to me like the injector itself. Down close to the head where the injector goes into the head its wet and a bit of bubbling while its running.
Oh, okay...it's also possible that someone pulled the injectors and put them back on without the washers in place (M-B calls them "heat shields", but they serve the same purpose as the copper washers under the injectors on the Ford IDI's). But, can't hurt to rebuild or even replace the injectors.

I think its idling about 650-700RPM Seems just a tad on the low side. First project on it is the valves and checkout the timing chain. Wheres a good place to get a new chain if I need it? I assume I would want to change the gears also?
IIRC, she should be idling at about 750. But, I'd do the valve adjust and the timing chain before messing with the idle...she could be idling low because of another issue as opposed to simply being set too low. I would adjust the valves and check the timing chain stretch first, and then do the timing chain (if the engine needs it), then the injectors, and then check the injection timing, then adjust the rack damper bolt, adjust the idle speed, and then finally replace the engine mounts. There are two rubber mounts and two shock absorbers; I'd just replace them all to be safe.

I'd recommend spending some quality time on this site...it's a great source for parts. Regarding the chain, you actually can (and should) replace the chain without even pulling the gears. For a more detailed how-to, take a look here. I'd also recommend taking a look at this site. For the record, there's also a message forum on Mercedes Shop, but IMHO the quality of the forum's taken a serious downturn...I used to be a regular, but I stopped going there about 3 years ago...

Great help. I can't beleive how big this car is. It doesn't look that big until I got it in the shop and see how much room it takes up.
I hear that!! IMHO the 126 is a beautiful car; I wish I had bought one instead of the 123 I used to own. I'd like to buy a cherry 126 someday, but probably not in the near future :(

Anyone know much about adjusting transmission bands in these cars? That will most likely be needing done before I start driving it too.
I'm not sure on the others, but here is a how-to on adjusting the Reverse band. I need to do this on my car; I don't have Reverse at all anymore...

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
First off,
Welcome to the forum!
Secondly, welcome to the wonderful world of MB--These are truly remarkable cars. As I work on them, ( I have an '82 SD, I am continually impressed that some Engineer has really thought through what I am doing--and made it easier. These really are easy cars to work on.
Thirdly--its not as different from your 6.9 as you might think. They share the indirect injection operation---fuel is injected into a precombustion chamber where the combustion process begins. The nice thing about IDI diesels is that there is no computer. As long as there is no mechanical problem, all issues are fuel-relaterd. There is no spark system-just glow plugs to get it started. If you have 5 good GP, and the fuel system works as it should, it will run.
I would recommend changing ALL fluids, including brake fluid and pwr steering ( and its filter).
Here is a forum for MB --The guy who sponsors it is Phil at Fastlane--see his onlione catalog under the " buy parts" tab. Good prices and EXCELLENT FAST service.
http://mercedesshop.com/shopforum/index.php
The "Diesel" group is very helpful. Sign on and read thru the archives--you'll learn more than many so-called mechanics think they know!

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
Ok, so my timing chain is at 4 degrees. I will ignore it for know till everything else is right atleast. Probably try to get it changed later this summer.

Valves. Intakes were at about .002 with one of them tighter than my .0015 guage. Exhaust were at .006-.007
Got all of them adjusted.
Will be moving on to the oil pan tonight.

What oil is recomended for these? Can I use the Rotella 15-40 that I use in my truck?

BENZIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what I run in my cars also when you run buy a jug of marvel mytery oil put in with your oil it will clean the inside of the engine by burning off any sludge just change the oil filter ater a few thousand miles:D

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
There are offset keys available to correct the timing chain retard. Or you can replace the chain.
Use this link:
http://catalog.worldpac.com/mercede...-SD-002&category=A&part=Camshaft+Woodruff+Key

Would that be worthwile to do? Does that go on the crank gear or cam?
I guess if it made a big difference and it was easy I would do it. Figure on doing the chain later this summer anyway.

So what do these cars have for turbo pressure. Whats normal.

Anyone Hotrod these motors at all? Up the boost, up the fuel? Doubt I will but I like fooling with stuff sometimes.

BENZIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this site has alot of info on mercedes and the superturbo forum has a ton of hotrod deisel tweaks
http://schumanautomotive.com/forums/index.php?

I have a 85 300D that has a Kn cone filter and 3inch tube to the turbo inlet
with a about 3inch streight pipe I removed the alda which adds puts alittle more fuel in the system.
I posted in the videos area some videos of these cars hotrodded they have alot off potentail;Sweet

tgatch

Reaction score
Benzin.... Those hot rodded Benz cars you posted are NOT using the OM617.95x. The biggest HP W123 with a OM617.95x here in the U.S. is about 150WHP. That was after spending a couple thousand dollars to get a Myna Pump from Finland. Once that guy gets an Intercooler and a better turbo than stock, I expect he will be very close to the 200 WHP mark as there was quite a bit of Smoke during his dyno pull.

Hot rodding these requires a little work. There is a full load screw that can be adjusted. You can advance the timing slightly. Boost from the stock turbo is limited to about 15 to 16 psi, after that it is out of its effeciency.

With the factory injection pump you are going to be limited to probably no more than about 110WHP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7