Need some serious help if we have any North Idaho or Eastern Washington guys..

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Ill be sure to post pics when I get the old adapter out since they arent "supposed" to break like that. Thanks for all the help everyone!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aye, I got a truck bed full of parts sourced from at least 5 different trucks, likely more. End goal is the same as what you had going on there.
here's the shifter mechanism for the 1345. i had to grind the heck out of part of it in order for it to mount up on the ZF5.

Attachments

• IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0116.JPG
    IMG_0116.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 7

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ill be sure to post pics when I get the old adapter out since they arent "supposed" to break like that. Thanks for all the help everyone!
check your motor mounts and trans mount. i'm suspecting a bad trans mount is the cause of the problems on yours.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's the shifter mechanism for the 1345. i had to grind the heck out of part of it in order for it to mount up on the ZF5.
Do you have to move that shifter sideways to get it into N and 4x4 low? I know the knob doesn't show it, but I can see the gate plate is down there, unless that's the part you had to grind to make it clear the ZF5 case. But yes, what you have under the floorpan is the only 1345 linkage I've ever seen on '80-'86 trucks. What's odd is that now that I look at the pics I posted earlier, the one that shows the linkage you used also appears to have a 1356 case! Oh well, when things interchange so readily I suppose random combinations are bound to come into existence, I'm a firm supporter on making what you have work when finding what's supposed to be there proves too time-consuming.

And +1 on the mount - these aluminum transfer cases are not heavy enough to tear up the adapter housing like that, I can see it with a NP203 or 205 if the side support is missing, but the BWs are like half their weight and if the mount is good they shouldn't see enough vibrations to break stuff. Another idea, check the bolts between the adapter housing and the trans, I had a C6 with a NP205 hanging off it that had the bolts kinda tight but not really - wasn't leaking any fluids, but they were definitely not as tight as they should have been.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Yea I have to lift the 205 under my 79 with a floor jack, I can one hand this Borg Warner up. When I started my teardown the tranny mount nuts werent exactly "tight" so that may have something to do with it. That linkage towcat posted definitely isn't the one I have

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Here's the carnage:
You must be registered for see images attach

Mine does have the z-bar linkage with no gate and one mount hole

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789