Ignition Switch

SIKPUP

Reaction score
What are the signs of the ignition switch starting to go ?

What happens when it finally gives up ?

This is in a 93 tilt wheel. Are there any tech articals on this topic ?

The last time I started it the key just seemed to get very sloppy. And I would like to get some idea of what I need to do to replace the switch before I take it apart.
Thanks,

Mike

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
I am not sure if there is a tech article, I am new to the site, I just got my IDI. FYI it is also a 93 with tilt column. About a week after I got it I lost the only key for it and had to replace the ignition switch. Luckly my buddy who runs a towing bussiness with all ford trucks is a pro at changing them, it took him 20 mins. FYI before that my ignition switch was getting sloppy aswell I could turn the thing all the way around without the key in it. So I was starting it with just the key for leverage.

Here is what we used and the basic process. Keep in mind we did mine on the side of the road.

Tools:
Cordless Drill 14V
Sharp Drill Bit Set ( I forgot the exact size)
Small / Medium Chisel
Hammer
Screw Driver

Process.

You have to remove the covering on the bottom of the column. You should see a pin that is in a hole, holding the ignition cylinder in. You have to drill that pin out. Then use the chisel to remove the rest. Then you should be able to remove the cylinder, it might take some prying though. Once its out you use the chisel to make sure the rest of the pin is out. Then slide the new cylinder in, use the hammer to put the new pin, and you should be set. Since yours is a 93, you can either take the door locks out and get them rekeyed to your new ignition key or you can just use your old ignition key for the doors, since I am assuming you still have it and didn't lose it like me.

The process is a little mystifing with out seeing it or doing it, but really isn't that hard once you get into it. I hope that helps and maybe someone else with have more info or pictures or a tech article for you.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you still have the key it takes about 5 minutes to change the key cylinder. Turn the key to the on position, remove the lower cover if needed,using a large paper clip or finishing nail push the keeper pin in, pull old cylinder out, slide new cylinder in. Done. The ignition switch is located on the steering colum under the dash.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
firemedicmonkey said:
I am not sure if there is a tech article, I am new to the site, I just got my IDI. FYI it is also a 93 with tilt column. About a week after I got it I lost the only key for it and had to replace the ignition switch. Luckly my buddy who runs a towing bussiness with all ford trucks is a pro at changing them, it took him 20 mins.

94f450sd is writing an article on how to do this too, he also posted pics already on how he got the hole steering column apart. Btw I had lost the only key I had for one of my cars but my budy instead took one of the key cylinder on the door and made the same key I had out of it, so no need to remove the ingition switch.

Joe Mc

Reaction score
When my ignition switch went bad, the truck wouldn't start, The FSS had power in the on position, but not in the start position. On my 86 I had to drop the column, but it is only 2 bolts holding it to the dash and it went very easy. The new switch was 8.99 at AutoZone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online