Ignition issues

SKimballC

Reaction score
I pull up to a jobsite up in the hills this morning, push in the e-brake and one of the cables snaps. Greaaaaat. Then I go out to move the truck 5 minutes later and I turn the key to kill it, pull the key out and it stays running. I dropped the column and the rod isn't sliding. Its stuck in 'run' and I had to push the rod with a screwdriver to start it back up. The lock cylinder turns freely from the accessory position to the start position with the slight stop in 'off'.
So anyways, I stopped at NAPA and got a new lock cylinder and e-brake cable. Is there anything else in there that could have gone wrong in the column? The key release switch under the column isn't keeping the lock from spinning either. Any wirds of wisdom?

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a nylon piece w/a steel pin sticking out that the lock mech. moves up and down which controls the actual switch further down the column. Common problem that the pin comes out of the nylon--- gotta replace it--dealership abt. $17.00.

Dennis

SKimballC

Reaction score
Well, the end of the cylinder had broken off. Spent more time fishing it out than anything else, but its done and the ignition again functions. Now on to those brakes:mad: -cuss

EDIT: Friggin' right side parking brake cable is now replaced. Good times.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online