High beam lights not working

coffeerich44

Reaction score
So here is an interesting problem. I have a 1994 F-250 and was driving the other night, tried to put on high beams and nothing. The next morning I went to investigate and found that the 30 amp fuse under the hood which apparently controls them was blown. After some trial and error it looks like just putting on High beams doesn't blow the fuse nor does it turn them on. Its when I pull the multi-function switch back to flash the high beams does the fuse blow. I pulled the bulbs and the seem fine, nothing that would blow a fuse and I tried swapping out the multi-function switch hoping for a quick fix. Unfortunately no luck. I must have a short somewhere but cant figure out where nor can I find a wiring diagram. Just wondering if anyone out there has ever encountered something like this or maybe has a schematic I could follow?

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd first check your headlight switch and actual headlight wiring for any piggy backs that previous owner may have put in for aftermarket stuff that may be gone now but wires removed.

Pull the multifunction switch and smell it for the short in there also

coffeerich44

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, As luck would have it I actually happen to be the original owner. That being said I can't recall ever altering my headlight wiring so I don't think that would be it. I tried changing the multi-function switch and that didn't have any effect. I tried to find a wiring diagram but have been unsuccessful so far. I thought maybe there would be a weak point in the wiring somewhere where it was rubbing against something but haven't found it yet. Its just really strange that turning the high beam switch on doesn't pop the fuse or turn them on. Its when you try to flash them that it blows the fuse. I wonder if that's because its turning on the high beams and the low beams at the same time. So the high beam circuit would appear to open and maybe a short where it connects the high beams to the low beams? Maybe a relay? I have to say I really hate electrical problems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online