help

wilely250

wilely250
Reaction score
im new at this and not much of a mechanic i have a 1983 ford 6.9 diesel. does anyone know where i can get a duel tank fuel selector valve, not the switch? As well what are some simple and cheep ways to get more power. already drilled holes in my air filter casing and that seemed to help. thanks

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
For the fuel selector switch just find most any 83 to 97 truck for that in a wrecker yard. Adding a turbo is about the best bang for the buck. If you still have the factory exhaust system now would be a good time to upgrade it to 3 inch from the "Y" collector back.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes they are but any diesel truck will have what you want. The switch over valve is an electric motor driven valve that has been known to fail but not too often. Tag the lines before you remove any of them. That way you wont have any problems like fuel returning to a differant tank and overflowing it.

wilely250

wilely250
Reaction score
thanks, now how about the turbo will that set me back much. does it increase or decrease fuel consumption? would a duel exhaust help with power and millage?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A new turbo will set you back 1700-3200+ shipping. Hypermax and ATS are continuing to make them and are cheaper 1700-2200 than Banks. You can often find a used kit or cobble your own together for around a grand to 1500 if you're a handy guy. I have a universal NAPA/Echelin selector valve. The only problem is that the wiring harnesses do not match, and you will need the Echelin adapter. By the time you do that you may as well drop the $100 from Ford I suppose just to have it still fit the stock harness. Mine works great now that I have the electric nightmare sorted out.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I should say that a turbo probably won't have much effect on fuel consumption. I got 11-13 mpg with a bad pump before my turbo. I now get 12-14 in town and 14-16 highway with the turbo and a good pump. Its mostly about gearing, RPMS, driving habits and the condition of your fuel system, plus each engine is a little more or less efficient than another for reasons we don't quite get...that's also true of the PSD crowd from what I read in those forums.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
instead of making your air cleaner into swiss cheese, buy an edlebrock 14" open air filter from advance. im pretty sure its less than 20 bucks and it has the adaptors to raise the filter up over the injector lines. its the least restrictive air filter set up you can get.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Try Canadian Tire. I bet they have the same thing. They carry quite a selection at those places

-------Robert

wilely250

wilely250
Reaction score
up here we got a special name for our beloved canadian tire, thats crappy tire. true they do have a lot of stuff, but what they have is really general and not specific. there products are more of a mass production, like stock parts for fast moving products. i could find an air filter there, probably, but it would not be a real high quality one. the often discontinue parts for older vehicles. nice place to shop but dont depend on them too much.

dwaymar

dwaymar
Reaction score
just go on the net and type in partsamerica.com if they don't have something up there then they will help you find some of there co partners

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online