Having 4wd issues

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am posting this up for a friend. He is having some problems with his 4wd or so we think. I was following him down the road and noticed his front drive shaft was spinning. It wasn't spinning very fast but yet it was spinning. He has been having problems with the 4wd light coming on while in 2wd. He also has manual locking hubs and I don't think that his hubs are unlocking when they are switched to the unlock postition because the front axle shafts are turning as well. He is wanting some advice on what the problems might be and what he should look at. Its a 99 F250 PSD 6 speed with electronic T-case and Manual hubs.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I would check the lube under the hub. I have seen several things happen here, dirt/water and such get in there and make the hubs stick or the lube dries up and makes things stick. Also, most people use the wrong lube. If you read the hub maintenence, you are to use light oil on those lockout hub parts, not grease. My new hubs were even packed in grease and said to remove it and use light oil. Sounds like they are hanging up to me.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be. They are very hard to turn to lock them in and it just doesn't feel right to me. Mine are very loose and free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online