Finally, The Maiden Voyage.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Here's some pictures of the first load. It went from Fallston, MD to Tidewater, VA. Ran OK on the way down but smoked ALOT. Got 10 miles out of Tidewater, headed home & it shut down. Out of oil. Put 7 Gallons :eek: in & nursed it home. It's back in the shop to see what's wrong. But, it hauled a pretty good load & made some money.

Attachments

• P2090022.JPG
    P2090022.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 20
  • P2090023.JPG
    P2090023.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 16
  • P2090024.JPG
    P2090024.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 10

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
well crap.... that doesnt sound good.... At least the engine ECM kicked in and shut down. smoking on the way down has got me thinking piston rings or cracked piston.

At least ya made some money on the trip. ;Sweet Nice pictures too!

Keep us updated on this.

(Is this the truck that just went through the shop with a boatload of problems?)

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Yep, same truck. I think the real answer is that I'm going to try to patch it up enough to sell it. It was unpleasant to load & unload & REALLY uncomfortable to drive after a few hours. Most of my work is longer distance & this ain't the truck for that.

I already asked about an inframe price. I think this place is way out of the ball park, but they're telling me 15,000.00 to inframe a CAT C-12. Last I heard it was about 1,000.00/cylinder? Is it normal to get a recon head & new injectors in the inframe price?

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
apextrans said:
Yep, same truck. I think the real answer is that I'm going to try to patch it up enough to sell it. It was unpleasant to load & unload & REALLY uncomfortable to drive after a few hours. Most of my work is longer distance & this ain't the truck for that.

I already asked about an inframe price. I think this place is way out of the ball park, but they're telling me 15,000.00 to inframe a CAT C-12. Last I heard it was about 1,000.00/cylinder? Is it normal to get a recon head & new injectors in the inframe price?

15k for a -cuss inframe? Take the business elsewhere. 8k is more in the ballpark I would think.... even for an C-series CAT. Recon heads are normal (should be warranty on em) and new injectors is normal. CAT must have doubled the gold plating or something on the parts. cookoo cookoo
15k should buy you a brand spanking new C-12. The new C-12s we install into the firetrucks here at work are 15-16k new, C-15s are about 21k, and the C-18 (snowplows) are around 28-32k. And these engines (exception of snowplow) are fire/emergency rated.

As they always say... the first trip is everything.... I would agree with ya, patch it and sell it. If the load/unload isnt easy now, it will get worse... same for driving comfort.

maniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Recon head yes, injectors NO, the injectors are almost $600 apiece, for my 3406E anyway, so if they are good you use them again.

Here in Jersey the inframe is usually around 12K, trouble is Cat gets "funny" with their warranty if certain things are not done their way, like replace turbo if it is a certain age, and repalce this and that to get the "full" warranty.

Now before everybody jumps on me REMEMBER Cat facilities are all independently owned, so some of the things will vary.

Scott, I have used Cleveland Brothers in PA and they were reasonable and fair, and did nice work, the one I was at was outside of Williamsport PA., and also the one in Milesburg Pa.

I have also used H.O.Penn in Poughkeepsie NY, also nice work BUT higher labor rates, $105.00 hourly as opposed to $75.00 at Cleveland Bros. By the way the guy at H.O.Penn told me he has been with Cat for 27 years and said they are just like all the rest now, they will look for ANY excuse NOT to pay a claim.

I really believe the under 10 grand in-frame is a thing of the past, mainly because of shop labor rates and parts prices, remember you can always take it deep into the woods, but what purpose does it serve to have it 500 or so miles away to save a few bucks.

Where was it worked on? Cat facility or a repair shop, there are some independent shops that are Cat certified, There is a Western Star dealer on I-78, Midway Garage I think is the name also had work done there and liked them.

By the way, I just put in an injector 2 weeks ago, $1065.00 out the door :puke:

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
The place it's at is a CAT certified shop but not CAT itself. I've got a CAT dealer few counties over. I haven't heard back from either of them yet, but I don't have the money to do an inframe so it doesn't really matter what it costs I guess. I called to get some idea on the wait for another Peterbilt setup like I have now & it's not really that long. So I think it will be a patch job of some kind to get rid of it & order the Pete. Should have done it right the first time & bought new. I've only had good luck with used pickup trucks, never a used work truck (bigtruck). Sucks though. I could make the freightshaker livable but I think it would be throwing good money after bad. The whole point was a cheap truck I could make money with, not dump money into!!! I'll have to see what the shop says monday.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
For what it's worth, we recently did a 'partial' inframe on 12.7 detroit (the guy couldn't afford all new liners, we replaced 2 cracked ones), new head and what not, cost the guy ~8k. Add for liner packs and labor and 'CAT certified' shoptime :D
James

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
The latest from the shop is:

1. Check Eng light & Eng Protect light were kicked off by low oil pressure. I knew that was the case. They cleared those codes & it seems OK.

2. Told me it needs an inframe. Major blowby & burning alot of oil. They are getting me a quote on the inframe & a new motor.

Is anyone aware of any type of patching up I could do to run this a while until I can get rid of it? Any kind of additive for the oil that might fill some of the scars & reduce the blowby for a while? The shop suggested putting in some Lucas to thicken the oil up. Anyone?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
maniac said:
Matter of fact I'd try just about anything, even that engine rebuild in can, ya never know :Sly

That's my best option right now. Whats the name of it & where can you get it?

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
apextrans said:
That's my best option right now. Whats the name of it & where can you get it?

Rolled oats...........its in the cereal isle down at the market in town :rotflmao

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
Restore? I've seen it greatly help ring seal on gas engines...never tried it on a diesel.

You need a nice cab-over. :)

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
Change out the oil and replace with 50 weight or something. thicker oil, hopefully less blowby until you sell it. something to think about.

Nobody is going to notice unless they sample the oil or its 20 below.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
The guys at the shop told me the same thing. Heavier oil or add some Lucas to it. I'm gonna try the Restore stuff too. There's a truck lube place in Mebane, NC that sells something like Restore. Supposed to work pretty well. Called Trucker's Lube & Repair.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Restore you can get at local Azone or such. Motor Honey is another version I've seen/tried in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online