Engine Pittered Out

abfiegen

Reaction score
I was sitting at a stop sign when my engine started to idle funny (sounded like it was gently revving itself), presumably from some issue with the fuel. I revved the engine just to see if it would make it go away but it didn't and the RPMs slowly dropped while continuing this revving action until the engine died. It had done the revving thing before but never died. Both times it has done this has been since I cracked some unions to purge air from the fuel (it doesn't have a leak to my knowledge, air got in due to my own ignorance). I was fairly certain I cranked the unions down tight so I don't think that is it. I have driven it 40 miles round trip with no issues since that as well. The only thing I can think it that I switch tanks (for no reason at all, just being antsy) about a mile before this happened. I switched back to my other tank and tried to start to no avail. I've driven on both tanks with their current diesel fuel supply in them and haven't had issues so I'm ruling out bad diesel as well. It has also rained a decent amount recently so possibly it's a water problem?? I'm gonna crack some unions and fill the fuel filter with fresh diesel before trying to start again. From there I am out of ideas though.

Any other thoughts on this issue?

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how much fuel is in each tank, if its down at a 1/4 tank, and the filter is empty, you ran out of fuel. shower head has broken off of fuel pick up and now 1/4 tank is empty.

abfiegen

Reaction score
Fuel filter was full. However when I cracked unions air bubbled out, so that still may be the problem.

Secondary problem:
I have probably cranked for 45 total seconds since it died and my batteries have already dropped to 11.75 volts. The glow plug relay is also making a funny noise when the key is in the start position. I checked the relay for leaching and found no current. However the lack of charge on my batteries after so little cranking makes me think I have a leach somewhere. The batteries are new as of March 2014. What is the best way to go about tracking this down? Who are some common offenders?

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this exact issue plaguing me for the longest time. I suspected everything, broken fuel pickup, bad filters on tank, weak lift pump, fuel filter, orings, return lines, etc. It turned out to be the steel lines between the lift pump and the fuel pump via the filter assembly. Finally, I trashed everything. New fuel lines all the way to tank. Parallel system from each tank with viton lines. Each line has its own filter and heavy duty switching valves separately for supply and return. Electric fuel pump. I kept the original 6-way ******* which is only used now for the sender to the fuel gauge. Now I have a truly redundant 2-tank system except they use the same electric pump. No problems since. Should have done this a long time ago.

abfiegen

Reaction score
I think I have it figured now. The dome light has been on for who knows how long. I couldn't get it to turn off so something must be up with the switch. I just took the bulb out. The lens is really cloudy so that is how I never noticed it was on. Even standing at the truck in the dark I couldn't see it unless I bent over to look straight at it. So once I get juice back in the battery and can bleed out some air I think it will start. I'm hoping the thought that the rear tank ran out of fuel at 1/4 tank still holds true.

abfiegen

Reaction score
I'm having some slight continued problems. When I went to start it up today the glow plug relay was clicking again. It still started though. Would a low battery cause the glow plug relay to cycle on a off? When I'd finished driving it around I measured the voltage in the battery. It was at 13 volts. What are the batteries supposed to be at?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
you may have glow plugs out. the relay will cycle on and off after the intial on cycle to keep them warm for a few seconds.