e40d to zf5 wiring

zpd307

Reaction score
to gary or any other who has converted from an e40d to zf5. i see gary kept his mlps, or whatever it is called, connected. does it need to be? and if connected, it would have to be in the park or neutral position, correct. the reverse lights plug coming out of the tranny is a 4 pin, two wires and a loop going to the other two pins. i got a chunk of wiring harness from a 91 crew with a zf5, for the plug, and it has four wires going into it. do i need to find the four wires out of my harness to connect up, and are they the same color. or can i just find the two wires that go to the switch.... i am getting this thing wrapped up very soon, hopefully tomorrow.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I opted to leave the MLPS on, instead of tearing up the harness and connecting the wires that needed to be connected to each other. I did wrap it up in plastic, to keep dirt and grime out of the switch assembly.

Also, My backup light switch only had two wires going to it. I believe that I simply tapped into the wire going directly to the backup lights.

Gary

zpd307

Reaction score
do you remember what colors they were. i have been under the truck everyday for awhile and i cant remember what color they are. the switch does only have two wires to it, but the factory connector is a four prong- there is a 1 1/2-2 foot lead coming out of the switch. where in the e40d harness did you find the wires for reverse. did you just go digging into the loom or is there an easier access.

zpd307

Reaction score
i dont know i didnt think of this before. but i checked my haynes manual. it showed a purple with orange tracer wire as the feed to the switch and then the black with pink tracer from the switch to the lights. i found the wires going to the mlps. an wah la, i now have reverse lights.