Driving in the snow...

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish we could get real studed snow tires here in California. Our illustrious leaders outlawed them back in the late 60's or early 70's because they claimed they were destroying the roads. In other words they put their hairbrained ideals ahead of the common citizen's lives, as always. Jim

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I wish we could get real studed snow tires here in California. Our illustrious leaders outlawed them back in the late 60's or early 70's because they claimed they were destroying the roads. In other words they put their hairbrained ideals ahead of the common citizen's lives, as always. Jim

It looks like someone in Sacramento finally pulled their head out of their tailpipe, It looks like studs are legal for you November 1st-April 1st
Modern studded tires just don't tear roads up like the old bias ply studded tires did.

---------Robert

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I know a wider mud terrain tire is harder in the snow too. I have 265s & I've found the 235 in something like a Cooper ATR works good in the snow. Not saying that the 265+ mud tires won't work because they do, you just tend to get more front steer in 2wd. I have driven through some pretty deep snow in 4x4. :D I know mine with the limited slip can get hairy on the ice or snow. Yes you can get an open diff to break free but it's not nearly as bad as a locker or limited slip. Best thing to do is lock the hubs & engage 4x4 when the roads get too slick.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
Way off topic considering its a car, but I drive a Mustang with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 winter tires on it, and I wouldnt drive anything else in the snow. Mine is an '06 with the V6 and traction control (manual tranny). Basically you have to be an idiot to put the car into the ditch. Does it go like hell as in the summertime, no, but its still going when most others are stuck.

I've always run dedicated winter tires on my cars and wouldnt go back to M&S for the season. Being in WI its kinda borderline as far as snow and whatnot, but it also means we have higher chances of ice and freezing rain.

I havent had a truck since 2001, (money issues) but it was a '96 Dodge 2500 CTD (manual) and I just threw on an extra 1000 lbs and ran with the Michelins on it then (LTX-ATs E-range) and just took it easy with it. Went drift busting through snow higher than the bumper and didnt have problems. Most of the time I was in 2wd, then would go to 4wd if the back started axle-hopping.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online