Dead tach.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford sells em if they are availavble, otherwise used...

Sorry

Probably got a few floating around here I do.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the tach sensor definately dead? I know I replaced mine (had to get it from Ford) but it was so dirty it couldn't read properly. Might try cleaning the old one and see if that makes it work again. The part number is probably listed in the Parts Bin in the idi tech articles and I think this a dealer only part.

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one and then the tach still wouldn't work. Then I bought some clusters from pick-your-part and the tach still wouldn't work. After another google search I found one post on a competing website about how the tach signal is routed through one of the maxi fuses under the hood in automatic transmission models. My truck started its life as an auto so I figured why not? When I checked the fuses I found two of them were blown so I replaced them and the tach started working. Basically I spent around $100 when all I really needed was a fuse I could have gotten for free on one of my trips to pick-your-part. I hope its that easy for you.

Oh yeah, search on eBay by the part number. There's somebody selling them for $74 shipped but you gotta search by the number.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230879539313?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bet you didn't know you can use a CPS (Cam Positioner Sensor) for the tach sensor. Just a little modification. Ya have to thread it with a chaser nut, and use a half nut and o'ring.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I has posted this early this am. I don't have the truck with me at work and am trying to remember were the fuse is under the hood.... anyone?
Thanks for all the replies.

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuse box on my truck, a 92 is located on the drivers side fender above and slightly rearward of the wheel well. |The lid of is says Power Distrubution or something along those lines.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't there a ford dealer affiliated with oil burners that gives members a discount?
Can anyone tell me the name?

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly friend the eBay auction I mentioned above is probably the best price you are going to find for a new one. I got one from them and it is what they said it was, and it works. It came in a couple of days.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rjglenn, you were right the e-bay price was killer at $72+, but when I called them the price was $56.58 nice little change. I was kinda hesitant to go the e-bay way but it was easy.... Thanks for the info

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing with Ebay is to always only deal with someone who has good feedback, if they have some negatives try and read any comments associated with the negative, ask questions. If the seller doesn't answer questions, don't deal with them. You can save a bunch of money buying parts on Ebay but if you make a mistake and buy the wrong thing usually they won't take it back.