custom air intake size

93iditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess as long as your not using tubing thats smaller diameter than the diameter of the inlet on the turbo your not really going to be starving the engine of air.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I would agree with your statement, however to be safe I would go with a 3in piece of tube.

I am about to start the same thing, and am looking for the silicone couplers, anyone know where to find them. I know I plan to use the WIX 46637, or WIX 42790 (same thing just sorter and fatter), just not totally sure how to get it all in there! I like how ghunt moved the fuel filter.

I saw a while ago, a 7.3 IDI NA that was from a medium duty truck, and the fuel filter was on the opposite head. It started making me wonder if we can move them the filter mount that we have to the other head... Something to look into.

PZ

93iditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your any good at fabricating I don't see it bein to hard to alter that fuel filter tower to make it work somewhere else

1994IDI

Reaction score
93iditurbo: If you are interested, GHunt made me an intake identical to his. I have the intake, adapter, clamp, filter, and relocation bracket for the fuel filter. I saw 50-100* drop in EGT's I have it for sale in the marketplace. If are interested PM me, if not, no worries and good luck with your project. Make sure we get a lot of pics. ;Sweet

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ghunt
Do you know if the air temp coming in is cooler or better for HP?
What kind of turbo setup are you running, Im used to seeing the turbo point towards drivers side?

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
ghunt
Do you know if the air temp coming in is cooler or better for HP?
What kind of turbo setup are you running, Im used to seeing the turbo point towards drivers side?

Looks like a stock ATS kit or a after market ATS kit. I have never seen one point any other directions, except the Hypermax kit, which may be pointed towards the driver side, but it is not mounted at an angle to the engine like the ATS kits.

PZ

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
phazertwo
Well I've got ATS system and the turbo sits square on the motorup against the firewall, exhaust manifold that drops down over the passenger side of the motor.
I have a alum.filter housing that sits forward of the turbo directly over the motor.
I think the original owner added soon after new, found some ATS stickers in the glove box.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Is your turbo a ATS 088 kit or a 093 kit. I have no idea what a 088 kit looks like, but the one in his image looks JUST Like my ATS stock set up (which is a 093).

PZ

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
phazertwo
Oh boy I'm not sure, can you tell by the serial number on the turbo? Last summer when I thought I needed to get new turbo parts I think 088 rings a bell. It does NOT have a waste gate, if that helps.

Way back when these trucks were new, was ATS what came from the factory if it was ordered that way?

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
If you do not have a waste gate than you have a 088.

Yes the ATS 093 kit came from the factory, however the factory edition was tuned down by ford with a crappy crimped down pipe, and a smaller exhaust elbow on the turbo.

PZ

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ghunt, do you have a better pic of your set up. Higher res would be nice!

PZ

Well I don't really have any higher res pictures of it right now no, but if you want pictures of specific things I can probably get them for you...

Brad S.- I don't know for sure since I put my pyro in at the same time I put this intake on. It pulls air from right behind the passenger side battery, can't be too bad and the EGT's are pretty good for me at two flats...I have to floor it all the way up a hill to top out at 1000 degrees.

Also this is a factory turbo truck.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
3" is fine. That is the factory tube size for the 7.3 PS engines. I am making mine now and my top is a 5" piece with a 3" piece that kind of wraps in on the side. To that, it goes out to a 4" inlet from a factory 6.0 PS inlet pipe and filter. Not done yet, but I will post it when I get it done...one of these days.

It will also be the same inlet for the blower and 3" IC pipes and inlet to the same intake hat.

SWS