Cab lights

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About to put some cab lights on the truck. Does anyone know what the measurements are for them?

Thanks

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Does your truck have the "ribbed" or smooth roof? Mine had factory cab lights that the PO had removed. I installed mine in the same places, so I can get you measurements tomorrow. By the way, in the driver's side "kick panel" you will find a single wire with a plastic clip on it that isn't hooked up to anything. That wire is the lead wire (+) for cab lights. I just cut the clip off and spliced my cab lights wire onto it (soldered and shrink tube). That's the best and easiest way I know.

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I have the smooth top on mine. It's a reg. cab.

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Mine was in the pass side kick panel on the '97.... The '86 had them from the factory and so does the '93 F350.... i could get themm too if ya need..

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
so thats what that wire is for. I have been looking at that thing for days wondering just what (and when) I unplugged and why I had noticed anything not working correctly.

Now I need to find some lights. What is the best way to keep them from leaking and/or rusting out the roof?

punk

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
so thats what that wire is for. I have been looking at that thing for days wondering just what (and when) I unplugged and why I had noticed anything not working correctly.

Now I need to find some lights. What is the best way to keep them from leaking and/or rusting out the roof?

punk

Most come with a "gasket" or piece of "foam" that goes under the light. Let me know if you need a set... I spent $5 each for my lights, and Harbor Freight has a set of the "teardrop" (just like mine) lights for $9.99 right now. It includes 5 lights, the wiring, and a rocker switch. I wouldn't trust the wiring or switch in a Habor Freight kit, but the lights looked good to me. I use silicone to seal the hole for the power wire to each light and the two holes for the mounting screws. The light gounds by one of the mounting screws. I also use a little clear silicone around the edges of the lights after mounting them and I have no leaks. This is the second truck I've installed the lights on.

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up some from Tractor Supply Company yesterday. They look like the right one for these years trucks. They were $4.99 each for just the light. They didn't come with the wiring or switch.

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
i just found "CLEAR" cab lights with yellow leds in them from lmc. pricy, yes, but that euro looks doesn't come cheap.:rotflmao. now all my running lights are clear, even the ones in my front fenders ;Sweet

chris

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
I just got the new LMC catalog and saw those...Those would be the finishing touch to an all clear running light set, they even look like the factory ones.

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
I see that noone has helped ya.

So here it goes:

Each light is 3 1/4" inches back from the top of the windshield trim to the leading edge of the light. Right in front the front mounting screw at the edge.
They are in a wedge shape that follows the curve of the top of the windshield.

There is a light dead center of course and then the inner left and right lights are at 12" inches on center and then the outer left and right lights are at 24" inches on center. We dropped the headliner at the front and back both sides to just behind the doors and did the wiring and then ran it to the pass. side and down the right a pillar to behind the kick panel and hooked it to the empty plug in there. And wahla - You have lights! Let there be light! It took us all of an hour to an hour and a half. Pretty easy really.

Good luck! Hope this helps ya out!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner