borgeson steering shaft good price

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rag joint has quite a bit of slop in it due to a leaky PS line so when I started looking for alternatives a Borgeson steering shaft seemed to keep coming back as the best solution(that or flaming river).

I searched for "borgeson 000985" online and on the last link, found Rye Valley Gear was selling the shaft for $218. I placed my order today and wanted to forward the link in case you're looking for a great deal on a borgeson shaft.

http://www.shop.ryevalleygear.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=000985

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just received the shaft today from Borgeson(ryevalley drop-shipped it). Installed it in ~1.5hrs. I've seen a significant improvement in steering response.

During the install, I also noticed the box is a little loose so will probably tighten that up just a bit. But no more delayed steering or drifting which is great. I know why people are so pro these steering shafts. Very well made and major improvement on the safety of the vehicle.

Oh, and the sticker on the shaft says it only works on up to '87 fullsize trucks but ignore that.

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
Just received the shaft today from Borgeson(ryevalley drop-shipped it). Installed it in ~1.5hrs. I've seen a significant improvement in steering response.

During the install, I also noticed the box is a little loose so will probably tighten that up just a bit. But no more delayed steering or drifting which is great. I know why people are so pro these steering shafts. Very well made and major improvement on the safety of the vehicle.

Oh, and the sticker on the shaft says it only works on up to '87 fullsize trucks but ignore that.

How is this steering shaft working out for you? Any slop in the system after things have worn in? Do you notice a reduction in road vibrations with the vibration reducer U-Joint?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
How is this steering shaft working out for you? Any slop in the system after things have worn in? Do you notice a reduction in road vibrations with the vibration reducer U-Joint?

I have had a similar borgeson shaft with the vibration reducer for a few years and it stays nice and tight. THat section is just there to take road shocks out of the steering wheel. I need to call Borgeson and get an adapter to go with my new tilt and telescoping steering column that I just got for my truck... out of a Freightliner :eek: :D yeah I'm at it again LOL

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always looked at those shafts, but the price tag has been hard to swallow. Thanks for the good review of the product. I'll have to put it on my list.

Freightliner? Won't you have to cut an slot in the windshield for the wheel to spin through when turning? Aren't those wheels big? 18" or more?

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
I have had a similar borgeson shaft with the vibration reducer for a few years and it stays nice and tight. THat section is just there to take road shocks out of the steering wheel. I need to call Borgeson and get an adapter to go with my new tilt and telescoping steering column that I just got for my truck... out of a Freightliner :eek: :D yeah I'm at it again LOL

Good to hear it stays tight, I was concerned that the vibration reducer u-joint would wear out and get sloppy similar to the rag joint.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've always looked at those shafts, but the price tag has been hard to swallow. Thanks for the good review of the product. I'll have to put it on my list.

Freightliner? Won't you have to cut an slot in the windshield for the wheel to spin through when turning? Aren't those wheels big? 18" or more?

About 18" that only puts it about an inch further out on each side and I figured that in, It will clear just fine, and as weak as my hands are getting, I could use the extra leverage while steering and the larger grip on the wheel will be easier to hang on to ( I've got some wicked arthritis )

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

About 18" that only puts it about an inch further out on each side and I figured that in, It will clear just fine, and as weak as my hands are getting, I could use the extra leverage while steering and the larger grip on the wheel will be easier to hang on to ( I've got some wicked arthritis )

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just ordered my Borgeson steering shaft from BuyAutoParts.com, $240 shipped off Ebay

http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/1980/Ford/F%20Series%20Trucks/Steering_Shaft/88-00015_N.html

You are going to love that thing. Don't be shocked if you need to cut it down a bit. THey generally make thair shafts a bit oversized to allow for body lifts etc , so when you pull the old one out, match the borgeson shaft up to it and if it seems too long, remove an end and cut it down. You want to make sure that you have enough room for the telescoping function of the shaft to actually work in event of an accident and not shove the shaft up through your chest, so make sure to cut enough off.
My old rag joint was so shot the truck was changing lanes by itself, and on a 92 you cannot even get a replacement rag joint without getting a whole new shaft from the dealer and it cost just as much as a borgeson so thats a no brainer.

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
I'm pretty stoked! My truck has a 3" body lift so I think that will absorb some of the extra length. We'll see...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online