boost

smookthis05

Reaction score
I got a 01 24 valave with edage juice with attitude..... on stage five my gauges are only reading a max of 23 pounds at wide open throttle ....just wonderin if this is an accurate reading or im loosing boost somewhere......

Need answer kinda fast pulling tomorrow tring to get ready...thanx

Whit

Reaction score
you have a leak.....................tighten all yer boots down good

I had a bomb party at my house a few years ago and I did a leak check on 9 trucks.....................yep they all had leaks including mine

smookthis05

Reaction score
thats what i thought it would be but wasn't sure.....I have to go back and check everything i had off thanx

smookthis05

Reaction score
found out that my turbo has a mechanical waste gate that can not be bypassed by the edge computer sooo i need to order a j clip for it or get another turbo.....the wastegate is set at a 25 psi limit...on an 01 cummins with 235hp...

Whit

Reaction score
hold off on the J hook it will kill yer turbo by over speed and will grenade it

are you an auto or and manual tranny

auto is a HY 35

manual is a HX35

I recommend a adjustable boost elbo .........this will get ya in the 32-34 psi range and be safe fer yer turbo......trust me here you donot wanna granade yer turbo

smookthis05

Reaction score
ok sounds good ....i have an automatic....what could happen if you put the HX35 on an automatic (just wondering)......i will look into the HY35 but i was also thinking about a biger turbo of like a cummins generator or something along those lines what do you think

02silversingle

Reaction score
HELP!! Im new and this is my first post!! I am having the same problem with my 02, 24psi max on the guages? I have an adj. boost elbow and it is closed completely. Ive checked all the bolts and nada, no leaky... any ideas? My egt's are a tad high too. Thanks for the help!

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Make sure the gauge is functioning properly. Is your air filter clogged up? Anything clogging the exhaust system? Any weird smoke or smells lately? Have you changed your fuel filter? When the egts are high, what are you doing? Are you loaded heavy? When did the boost pressure start to drop?

Need details, my friend.

02silversingle

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. air filters new cone K&N, fuel filter is new (less than 1100 miles), exhaust is 4" strait pipe turbo back (checked it, but no obstructions), smoke is same color, smell as always, the EGTs climb to approx 1000 at take off from a dead stop, under normal accel (empty) and 100-1200 when loaded. I use the truck for towing a 40' flat bed trailer, and it does get "loaded". I was never able to get over 20lbs boost before i installed the fooler, and with it wont get over 24lbs. I have checked the guage for leaks (gaskets too) and have found nothing. I have even disconnected the waste gate actuator and still no gains. Is my turbo bad maybe? Any ideas or suggestions are greatly apprecieated.
I read everywhere the HX35's are good up to 35-40lbs but Im having a hard time understanding why it will not achieve these numbers. It is almost as if the boost builds great until that point then it just stops increasing, as in it hits a wall and the engine is still accelerating for another 1000 rpms or so. Cuts out way to soon. Thanks again guys for the suggestions!!!

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Here's the next question. Have you installed a programmer? Looking at everything on your profile, you have everything but the software upgrade. The boost level is dependent on fuel rate, volume and timing. If you are still running stock programming, all the protocols for torque management are still in place which means that it won't allow any fun stuff to happen.
The other thing to check is fuel pressure. This is very, very important because that injection pump does not like to be starved for fuel. Blow the injection pump and start shelling out $$$$$$$$. Not cheap. Those VP44s will make you cry. The carnage gets started because the lift pump is weak; it's a defect that Dodge knew about.
Anyways, a FASS or AirDog will help with that end, and if you want to check the turbo out for broken blades and excessive play it wouldn't hurt. Rebuild kits are not expensive.
Give Industrial Injection or Thoroughbred Diesel a call and they can recommend the right software combo for you.

Last edited:

02silversingle

Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to mention the FASS pump, (95 lph?) and I had the original Superchips max micro tuner, and have recently been using the newer version of the same thing, (the Superchips Flashpaq). I know its not avery "big" chip but it was free and better than stock! I'm not sure what limitations it has as far as the pre-installed "modes" go. I have not looked into the health of the pumps, or the fuel pressure, which could be worthy of doing. Its frustrating knowing this thing is capable of more and not being able to get it. Thanks again!!

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Oh, well there's part of the problem. The Superchips tuner is conservative, like the Hypertech controller. These suckers are tuned real safe. Now if you want something more aggressive, your going to have to step up to a different controller or stack a Smarty controller to what you already have.
The other thing is to step up on the injectors (100hp, why not). Provided you are not starving for fuel and you have the air, it'll make that Cummins rip. And raise the rpm so she can rev out a bit more.

02silversingle

Reaction score
So the factory turbo will not make 35+ psi without a decent chip, and/or larger injectors? I know the waste gate is set at approx 24ish psi, but with that fixed, the computer will defuel and prevent the max boost from being achieved with the stock computer program/tune? And there is nothing mechanical I can do with what I have already, to get the boost my turbo is capable of? I guess thats my real question!!! Hope that makes sense. So other than stacking a smarty chip (not familiar with them) or buying a $600 programmer, what do you reccomend? Anyone?

02silversingle

Reaction score
Is this a common problem with these trucks? I suppose thats why most people just drop the bucks on a chip and then do the bolt on mods.