BIG DYNO DAYS #'s

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of tighter clearances but I understand what you were saying. I would really like to know how to go about shimming it also.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search icanfixall - he has good overview in post #3 here but he's got a longer one somewhere.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
Hmmmmm.

:dunno

Is that pump on racin's motor not the one off the 321 hp fairytale engine? Cuz it somehow lost 90 hp. :D

Funny how it has come to light that another dyno run showed mnb2's old engine at 217hp. :rolleyes:

I wonder if Justin was thinking about how much he hated me for telling it like it is, as he was assembling the new super amazing engine, causing him to sweat and shiver and shake, cursing under his breath, as he put one of his pistons in backwards.........

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Hmmmmm.

Is that pump on racin's motor not the one off the 321 hp fairytale engine? Cuz it somehow lost 90 hp. :D

Funny how it has come to light that another dyno run showed mnb2's old engine at 217hp. :rolleyes:

I wonder if Justin was thinking about how much he hated me for telling it like it is, as he was assembling the new super amazing engine, causing him to sweat and shiver and shake, cursing under his breath, as he put one of his pistons in backwards.........

Dave I understand you don't like Justin, but it's time to let it go. Lets not get this crap started again.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
It is not like that at all. It is nice to sit back and see how things have turned out. No one is going to start brawling, the bad apples are long gone, and many of us are enjoying watching this come full circle. I think everyone here can handle it.

It is nice to see how well type4's rig runs. I think he has really dialed in a good, healthy and realistic setup for IDIs. Plus, I doubt any of his pistons are in backwards.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I'll say it again....this thread is not a bashing thread...keep this focused, if you want to bash or be negative about someone back off...start yer own thread !

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm.

I believe over on PSN that he said that was caused by the way the dyno read. He said it was inaccurate and admitted to the dyno giving a false reading. I am still looking to see what NMB2's build puts out.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I gotta say is Justin's engine is well built. There have only been a few small stumbles along the way but overall, it runs really well. We will see soon what it puts down and will see how it holds up over time. I'm more than sure it will hold up at the power level it is at. He build it really well. Now as far as some not liking the guy, can they take their complaining somewhere else? It ruins a thread. That is all I'm gonna say about that.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OOps, post 37
Ok so I can see yer cam in the red, but what I wonder is which is yers on the top?

Trying to figure out what one has the broadest torque curve and HP sorry but I cannot figure the whole image out to know which is which.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
I too am looking forward to seeing how Justin's motor does on the dyno but do not expect a big number. I do expect to see some big fat torque with some serious midrange punch for an IDI. DO NOT take that as bashing! The reason I say that is because the pre cup design of the heads along with the head gaskets are the limiting factors, not fueling or achievable boost. Most all of the burning takes place in the prechamber and all the expanding gases have to shoot out of that damn hole before they push the piston on down the bore, so the higher you rev the engine, the more it becomes a problem.

All that being said,
I think Justin's engine, with that quick, healthy boost will make the most of the "area under the curve". Translation: Big Fat Midrange Torque that makes his truck haul butt.

Also, please stop accusing me of not liking him-I have never insulted him or made a personal attack. I respect his efforts and once he goes through his learning curve and learns to pay more attention to detail and recheck his work, he will be a good engine builder one day. He is also serving in the Armed Forces, which I respect very much. Justin, on the other hand has said "I don't like you" and called me names, some of them a little over the top.

I let that stuff roll off of me like rain on a ducks back so I do not feel like I need restraining. I only point out facts that I find interesting so please do not jump on me.

OK fellas? Please?

No one needs to start bashing but a few should stop coddling him.

So lets be realistic:

So far the engine gets a failing grade for reliability-probably more to do with mistakes on assembly than bad design. No big deal, very solvable. Time will tell.

On the other hand the turbo he came up with seems to kick some tail! We can all benefit from the data he has brought to light.

He seems to be once again proving what many of us have known about an IDI all along: making power requires boost but boost causes head gaskets to fail when it exceeds a certain point, somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 psi. Justin has lowered the compression in his, yet still has an issue. So, the hot setup still seems to be to make the most of the boost by maximizing injector efficiency, boost and cam timing like TYPE4, and reducing internal drag and cylinder head airflow through expert machining like ICANFIXALL.

What I have learned is that it would be fun to take a blueprinted block and flowed heads like ICANFIXALL's with a set of TYPE4 injectors, a Moose pump, with the pistons, turbo and turbo plumbing from Justin. The turbo plumbing will need to have some flex joints added so It does not crack and a way to limit boost. That would be a cool IDI.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clarification, my engine is as well machined as Garys. I am a very picky/**** engine builder, when you build vw's you get that way, plus it was how I was schooled.
Thanks for the power compliments, the bummer is I dont even have a set of my injectors in my truck:dunno

the top dyno curve is racins, mine is just below, and it tells me I need more fuel I was only 13 lbs boost and I can do more than that hauling the camper 16 regularly, that said I am working with my pump guy to get more fuel.:sly

As far as Justins build I also see a huge torque band in the making. After talking with Ken the pump issue was a freak thing, especially after I looked at the high mile junk pump parted out on my bench, that timing ring pin gets some wear normally so severe use on a well used one may be the fail cause. I requested a new one in my next one from my guy and he agreed not a bad idea.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OK fellas? Please?

No one needs to start bashing but a few should stop coddling him.....

I am NOT coddling anyone or giving anyone any kind of slack for whom they are, this is my thread and if I feel it's not conducive to what it's about or it's lame smack or what ever, I'll ask that you not post in it.

I agree with yer take on the build though...young, didn't check the list twice hence backwards piston....
good fab skills, creative thinker outside the norm BOX,
needs to slow down to have better results.

So not just you but everyone, please, keep this thread focused K :thumbsup: Thanks:sly